June 13, 2014: AAM is Alabama-bound for an #SOSJobs rally
and welcome to the Early Shift. Lots of stuff happening out there in manufacturing. We’re gearing up for a Monday rally with steelworkers in Alabama whose jobs are being threatened by dumped imports from South Korea. You can learn all about their trade case and what’s at stake by visiting our microsite here.
But Alabama isn’t the only place where the alarm is being raised. U.S. Steel CEO Mario Longhi and United Steelworkers President Leo Gerard were on Capitol Hill yesterday to make the case for America’s steel industry. Writes Brian Wingfield for Bloomberg:
The two men have joined forces in recent months to lobby the Obama administration to impose duties on imports of Korean steel products, which they say are clobbering the U.S. industry.
Today they were on Capitol Hill to meet with Democrats and reporters to get out their message.
'We are not asking for any favors,' Longhi said. 'We just want the law to be respected, applied in full. This is not a time for compromise.'
Elsewhere: U.S. Senators Jeff Sessions (R-AL) and Sherrod Brown (D-OH) are keeping the pressure on the Obama administration to get serious about China’s ongoing habit of manipulating its currency.
An interesting appraisal on American work culture ... from a mechanical engineer at BMW’s Spartansburg, South Carolina plant. Check it out here.
And lastly: We’ll be rallying in Alabama on Monday! Make sure to stick with @KeepitmadeinUSA for live rally updates.
Related recent Blogs
- Back From Detroit, Eyes on Washington • by elizabethbb • 07/21/2014
- The OCTG Trade Case Heads to the International Trade Commission • by TGarland • 07/16/2014
- What's next in the OCTG trade case? • by mmcmullan • 07/14/2014
- July 14, 2014: Commerce gets its OCTG ruling RIGHT! • by mmcmullan • 07/14/2014
- AAM Statement: Commerce Department Decision on South Korean OCTG Dumping. • by scapozzola • 07/11/2014
- The Top 4 Things to Know About #SOSJobs • by elizabethbb • 07/09/2014
- To Save Our Steel Jobs, It's Now or Never • by elizabethbb • 07/07/2014
- July 7, 2014: The final #SOSJobs countdown • by mmcmullan • 07/07/2014
- Spreading the Word: The American Prospect Features Save Our Steel Jobs Campaign • by elizabethbb • 07/03/2014
- As American as Apple Pie — But Made Overseas • by TGarland • 07/02/2014