July 20, 2011 Headlines: China Currency and U.S. Debt, Another Foxconn "Suicide," and More
NYT: How do you run for re-election in a weak economy?
The Hill: The Ways and Means Committee will look at the Value-Added Tax, as part of a plan to tax consumption, not income.
WSJ: China will begin looking for mineral wealth below the sea floor.
What does the potential downgrading of U.S. debt do to China and their currency manipulation? (USAT) As this article puts it, “An undervalued Yuan is the glue that powers the world’s No. 2 economy” (Bloomberg). Meanwhile, China could potentially change the exchange rate again (Bloomberg) and they’re urging the U.S. to solidify confidence in its debt (Reuters).
Bloomberg: Mitt Romney: job creator or job cutter?
Reuters: Another Foxconn worker supposedly “falls to death” at a plant in southern China.
R&D Magazine: Whistling while you work in Dearborn, MI.
MSNBC: China’s fake Apple Store.
Naked Capitalism: China’s mercantilist economy drives up the trade surpluses of so-called “debtor” nations.
Related recent Blogs
- April 18, 2014: Another miss from Treasury on currency manipulation • by mmcmullan • 04/18/2014
- Obama vs. Bush: Who actually made more progress in revaluing China’s yuan? • by scapozzola • 04/16/2014
- Treasury decision on China currency will cost U.S. jobs: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Statement. • by scapozzola • 04/15/2014
- Gathered in the USA • by TGarland • 04/15/2014
- April 14, 2014: Opinions, opinions, and Peeps • by mmcmullan • 04/14/2014
- Fashion Friday: Accessorizing the American-made way • by LRaup • 04/11/2014
- Manufacturing Jobs & #EqualPay • by LRaup • 04/11/2014
- April 11, 2014: Cherry blossoms! • by mmcmullan • 04/11/2014
- Rep. Sandy Levin talks currency and the TPP • by mmcmullan • 04/10/2014
- Throwback Thursday: Obama promises 1 million new manufacturing jobs • by TGarland • 04/10/2014