July 20, 2011 Headlines: China Currency and U.S. Debt, Another Foxconn "Suicide," and More
NYT: How do you run for re-election in a weak economy?
The Hill: The Ways and Means Committee will look at the Value-Added Tax, as part of a plan to tax consumption, not income.
WSJ: China will begin looking for mineral wealth below the sea floor.
What does the potential downgrading of U.S. debt do to China and their currency manipulation? (USAT) As this article puts it, “An undervalued Yuan is the glue that powers the world’s No. 2 economy” (Bloomberg). Meanwhile, China could potentially change the exchange rate again (Bloomberg) and they’re urging the U.S. to solidify confidence in its debt (Reuters).
Bloomberg: Mitt Romney: job creator or job cutter?
Reuters: Another Foxconn worker supposedly “falls to death” at a plant in southern China.
R&D Magazine: Whistling while you work in Dearborn, MI.
MSNBC: China’s fake Apple Store.
Naked Capitalism: China’s mercantilist economy drives up the trade surpluses of so-called “debtor” nations.
Related recent Blogs
- Will This Be the Week for the Highway Trust Fund? • by elizabethbb • 07/28/2014
- July 25, 2014: What We're Watching • by mmcmullan • 07/25/2014
- Fact Check: Standing Up Against Unfair Trade, Kentucky Edition • by TGarland • 07/25/2014
- Strengthened Workforce Training is Great — and We Can Do More • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Highlights from AAM's Trip to Detroit for Netroots Nation 2014 • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Drink Up with a Made in America Tervis Tumbler • by elizabethbb • 07/21/2014
- Back From Detroit, Eyes on Washington • by elizabethbb • 07/21/2014
- So Excellent, So Bodacious: Check Out Some American-made Smartphone Style • by mmcmullan • 07/18/2014
- President Obama proposes public-private infrastructure initiative: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) statement. • by scapozzola • 07/17/2014
- So Much For Promises: China's Manipulating Its Currency, Again • by mmcmullan • 07/17/2014