Joe Biden set to speak at Port of Houston
Joe Biden is traveling again, this time to Texas. No word yet on whether his team of bodyguards will be in tow. Probably. Anyway, he’s on his way to Panama to check out its namesake canal, which is going to be made considerably wider in 2015. But first the vice president will speak at the Port of Houston, a place that will see a serious uptick in tonnage from an expanded Panama Canal. Reports Stewart M. Powell of the Houston Chronicle:
The Panama Canal project will double the shipping capacity of the canal system that has been limited by the locks' inability to accommodate ships wider than 110 feet and longer than 1,050 feet.
That means even more trade flowing through Houston.
Biden has been speaking a lot about the importance of American infrastructure lately, most recently in North Baltimore, Ohio, where he toured a new rail hub built by the freight company CSX. His visit, we said, was a pretty big deal. We’re all for infrastructure investment. Let’s hope that along with support for investment that greases the wheels of international trade, the vice president announces some plans to boost exports as well. We take in plenty of imports as is.
Related recent Blogs
- Manufacturing sector adds 28,000 jobs in July: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) statement. • by scapozzola • 08/01/2014
- New "Gigafactory" set to create thousands of jobs in the U.S. • by TGarland • 07/31/2014
- Congress Still Hasn't Made a Fix to the Highway Trust Fund • by mmcmullan • 07/30/2014
- UCLA Flood: A Real Life of Example of What Happens When We Ignore Our Infrastructure • by elizabethbb • 07/30/2014
- Candidate Watch: We Need a Few More Details, Terri Lynn Land • by elizabethbb • 07/29/2014
- Fact Check: Standing Up Against Unfair Trade, Kentucky Edition • by TGarland • 07/25/2014
- Strengthened Workforce Training is Great — and We Can Do More • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Americans Want Trade Agreements that Do Not Undermine Manufacturing Jobs, New Poll Finds • by TGarland • 07/23/2014
- Highlights from AAM's Trip to Detroit for Netroots Nation 2014 • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Toxic Fast Food: Just the Latest Scandal Involving Made-in-China Products. • by elizabethbb • 07/22/2014