Joe Biden set to speak at Port of Houston
Joe Biden is traveling again, this time to Texas. No word yet on whether his team of bodyguards will be in tow. Probably. Anyway, he’s on his way to Panama to check out its namesake canal, which is going to be made considerably wider in 2015. But first the vice president will speak at the Port of Houston, a place that will see a serious uptick in tonnage from an expanded Panama Canal. Reports Stewart M. Powell of the Houston Chronicle:
The Panama Canal project will double the shipping capacity of the canal system that has been limited by the locks' inability to accommodate ships wider than 110 feet and longer than 1,050 feet.
That means even more trade flowing through Houston.
Biden has been speaking a lot about the importance of American infrastructure lately, most recently in North Baltimore, Ohio, where he toured a new rail hub built by the freight company CSX. His visit, we said, was a pretty big deal. We’re all for infrastructure investment. Let’s hope that along with support for investment that greases the wheels of international trade, the vice president announces some plans to boost exports as well. We take in plenty of imports as is.
Related recent Blogs
- March 7, 2014: Weak #MFG job growth and a big trade deficit earn Obama the saddest of trombones • by mmcmullan • 03/07/2014
- It wasn't all weather: What's behind the weak manufacturing jobs report. • by admin • 03/07/2014
- A Berry good story on American-made footwear • by mmcmullan • 03/06/2014
- White House economic adviser Gene Sperling shares words of wisdom on his way out • by TGarland • 03/05/2014
- EPI: Address currency manipulation and you address the jobs deficit • by mmcmullan • 03/05/2014
- A first look at the president's budget proposal for 2015 • by mmcmullan • 03/04/2014
- The U.S. needs a stronger domestic supply chain in the event of an attack • by TGarland • 03/04/2014
- Campaigns and political parties take note: We've got the key to attracting voters • by LDonia • 03/03/2014
- And the award goes to ... American workers • by TGarland • 03/03/2014
- March 3, 2014: Cold weather and cold Oscars pizza go together • by mmcmullan • 03/03/2014