A jobs "compromise"
Brent Budowsky, an aide to former Sen. Lloyd Bentsen, has published an op-ed in The Hill that suggests Congress needs to swiftly find some areas of compromise in order to begin creating jobs:
1. Democrats should embrace a one-time zero capital gains tax holiday for investments in new energy firms, high-growth companies and small business. This market-based solution will move vast sums of capital to firms that create jobs. It would begin to reverse the energy gap in which government-supported foreign firms developing new energy are surpassing capital-starved American firms that create American jobs.
2. Republicans should embrace an historic infrastructure rebuild far in excess of what the president contemplates, emphasizing projects that pay for themselves through tolls and fees, including many supported by Republican governors and state and local officials. This would employ large numbers of workers quickly and benefit all American companies and communities.
3. America’s giant global conglomerates that export jobs, hoard cash and avoid taxes should be given generous corporate tax cuts, and tax holidays for their trillion dollars of repatriated assets, ONLY when they repatriate jobs and equipment purchases back to America and increase their American workforce.
Related recent Blogs
- VIDEO: Concerns about America's defense industrial base • by scapozzola • 05/22/2013
- CNBC: China investing in U.S. • by scapozzola • 05/22/2013
- In Indiana, ongoing concerns about subsidized auto parts from China and Japan • by scapozzola • 05/22/2013
- RADIO: AAM's Scott Paul on Leslie Marshall Radio Show, May 20, 2013 • by scapozzola • 05/21/2013
- May 21, 2013 Headlines: Tensions with North Korea, a stronger WTO, and more. • by LRaup • 05/21/2013
- Shoring up our security means addressing the China challenge • by mmcmullan • 05/20/2013
- Quote of the Day from Caterpillar's Doug Oberhelman • by LDonia • 05/20/2013
- May 20, 2013 Headlines: Manufacturing & social media, growth of the U.S. economy, and more. • by LRaup • 05/20/2013
- President Obama visits Baltimore factory to promote infrastructure investment as a means of revitalizing the middle class • by LDonia • 05/17/2013
- It's Fashion Friday, but NoCargo carries more than just American-made clothing! • by LDonia • 05/17/2013