A jobs "compromise"
Brent Budowsky, an aide to former Sen. Lloyd Bentsen, has published an op-ed in The Hill that suggests Congress needs to swiftly find some areas of compromise in order to begin creating jobs:
1. Democrats should embrace a one-time zero capital gains tax holiday for investments in new energy firms, high-growth companies and small business. This market-based solution will move vast sums of capital to firms that create jobs. It would begin to reverse the energy gap in which government-supported foreign firms developing new energy are surpassing capital-starved American firms that create American jobs.
2. Republicans should embrace an historic infrastructure rebuild far in excess of what the president contemplates, emphasizing projects that pay for themselves through tolls and fees, including many supported by Republican governors and state and local officials. This would employ large numbers of workers quickly and benefit all American companies and communities.
3. America’s giant global conglomerates that export jobs, hoard cash and avoid taxes should be given generous corporate tax cuts, and tax holidays for their trillion dollars of repatriated assets, ONLY when they repatriate jobs and equipment purchases back to America and increase their American workforce.
Related recent Blogs
- Nanette Lepore's New Shoe • by scapozzola • 05/24/2013
- May 24, 2013 Headlines: U.S.-EU trade deal exemptions, investing in U.S. manufacturing, and more. • by LRaup • 05/24/2013
- Washington State Bridge Collapse Illustrates Perils of Failing Infrastructure. • by scapozzola • 05/24/2013
- Reps. Daniel Lipinski (D-IL) and Michael Grimm (R-NY) form new Congressional Public Transportation Caucus. • by scapozzola • 05/23/2013
- Homeland Security and Gov. Tom Ridge • by scapozzola • 05/23/2013
- CNBC: Is a Chinese construction firm benefiting from its Beijing connection? • by scapozzola • 05/23/2013
- May 23, 2013 Headlines: Gains in the job market, small businesses manufacturing in the U.S.A., and more. • by LRaup • 05/23/2013
- VIDEO: Concerns about America's defense industrial base • by scapozzola • 05/22/2013
- CNBC: China investing in U.S. • by scapozzola • 05/22/2013
- In Indiana, ongoing concerns about subsidized auto parts from China and Japan • by scapozzola • 05/22/2013