January 24 2014: Lots of legs on the stool that is manufacturing policy
Good early afternoon,
TGIF, America! What’s shaking? It’s been a few days since we rapped at you, but you haven’t missed much: Washington has been huddled around the campfire all week, trying to keep warm.
Hey, we’re not saying it’s the greater Midwest. But temperature is relative, and it was relatively Arctic in DC. Still, in our moments of warmth, we found time to preview the planks of the national manufacturing strategy we hope (we hope!) President Obama will unveil in this Tuesday’s State of the Union address.
Will he unveil one? Naw. Probably not. But don’t let anybody go running around saying he lacked the policy advice. Here are a couple of the legs of the manufacturing strategy that we’d like to see:
- Investing in American infrastructure,
- Making trade work for America, and
- Rebuilding America’s innovation base.
Coming up today? Expanding production, hiring, and capital expenditures. And on Monday? Enhancing our workforce. And then Tuesday’s State of the Union address will be here, with all its pomp and circumstance. We’ll be watching.
- From the Sacramento Bee: A report from the California State Senate found that the state’s transportation department ignored a lot of shoddy craftsmanship that went into the new Bay Bridge between San Francisco and Oakland. A big chunk of that bridge project, don’t forget, was outsourced to China.
- From CNN Money: Five years into his presidency, Barack Obama’s chief priority of a middle-class resurgence isn’t going very smoothly.
Yearbook pictures of rock and metal icons pic.twitter.com/oYW6mPfQcM— History In Pictures (@HistoryInPics) January 24, 2014
Wow. Check out Kirk Hammett in the bottom left corner. Have a good weekend, everyone!
Related recent Blogs
- March 7, 2014: Weak #MFG job growth and a big trade deficit earn Obama the saddest of trombones • by mmcmullan • 03/07/2014
- The U.S. needs a stronger domestic supply chain in the event of an attack • by TGarland • 03/04/2014
- March 3, 2014: Cold weather and cold Oscars pizza go together • by mmcmullan • 03/03/2014
- 86th Annual Academy Awards: A glimpse at Los Angeles' manufacturing sector • by TGarland • 03/01/2014
- February 28, 2014: We can create 5.8 million new jobs just like that! and more ... • by LDonia • 02/28/2014
- How's the president going to get there on his transportation bill? • by mmcmullan • 02/27/2014
- NEW REPORT: Ending Currency Manipulation Could Create 5.8 Million Jobs in U.S. • by admin • 02/26/2014
- Preview: President Obama to announce two new manufacturing hubs today • by LDonia • 02/25/2014
- February 24, 2014: More links in the #mfg hub chain • by mmcmullan • 02/24/2014
- February 21, 2014: Make that Buy American commitment bigger! • by mmcmullan • 02/21/2014