January 24 2014: Lots of legs on the stool that is manufacturing policy
Good early afternoon,
TGIF, America! What’s shaking? It’s been a few days since we rapped at you, but you haven’t missed much: Washington has been huddled around the campfire all week, trying to keep warm.
Hey, we’re not saying it’s the greater Midwest. But temperature is relative, and it was relatively Arctic in DC. Still, in our moments of warmth, we found time to preview the planks of the national manufacturing strategy we hope (we hope!) President Obama will unveil in this Tuesday’s State of the Union address.
Will he unveil one? Naw. Probably not. But don’t let anybody go running around saying he lacked the policy advice. Here are a couple of the legs of the manufacturing strategy that we’d like to see:
- Investing in American infrastructure,
- Making trade work for America, and
- Rebuilding America’s innovation base.
Coming up today? Expanding production, hiring, and capital expenditures. And on Monday? Enhancing our workforce. And then Tuesday’s State of the Union address will be here, with all its pomp and circumstance. We’ll be watching.
- From the Sacramento Bee: A report from the California State Senate found that the state’s transportation department ignored a lot of shoddy craftsmanship that went into the new Bay Bridge between San Francisco and Oakland. A big chunk of that bridge project, don’t forget, was outsourced to China.
- From CNN Money: Five years into his presidency, Barack Obama’s chief priority of a middle-class resurgence isn’t going very smoothly.
Yearbook pictures of rock and metal icons pic.twitter.com/oYW6mPfQcM— History In Pictures (@HistoryInPics) January 24, 2014
Wow. Check out Kirk Hammett in the bottom left corner. Have a good weekend, everyone!
Related recent Blogs
- July 25, 2014: What We're Watching • by mmcmullan • 07/25/2014
- Strengthened Workforce Training is Great — and We Can Do More • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Highlights from AAM's Trip to Detroit for Netroots Nation 2014 • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Foxx Calls on Congress to Pass Long-Term Fix to the Highway Trust Fund • by TGarland • 07/21/2014
- Back From Detroit, Eyes on Washington • by elizabethbb • 07/21/2014
- President Obama proposes public-private infrastructure initiative: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) statement. • by scapozzola • 07/17/2014
- We’re Live From Netroots Nation! • by elizabethbb • 07/17/2014
- Yellen: Infrastructure Funding Would "Counter" Economic Headwinds • by elizabethbb • 07/15/2014
- Let’s Build a Bridge and Fix the Highway Trust Fund • by elizabethbb • 07/15/2014
- July 14, 2014: Commerce gets its OCTG ruling RIGHT! • by mmcmullan • 07/14/2014