ITC made the right call on hot-rolled steel imports
Yesterday the International Trade Commission (ITC) announced the findings of its five-year review of countervailing duty (CVD) and antidumping (AD) orders placed on imports of hot-rolled steel from a handful of countries. But you know what, enough with the alphabet soup for a second. What was this case all about? From Joseph S. Pete at the Northwest Indiana Times:
The (ITC) ruled Tuesday that revoking existing duties on hot-rolled steel products from six foreign countries would cause economic damage to U.S. steelmakers and harm steelworkers, at least for the foreseeable future.
So the orders have been upheld. That’s a big deal; the steel products in question are hugely important to our domestic steel industry, because, no kidding, hot-rolled steel goes into just about everything. Cars, trains, appliances … you name it. Without those orders, the American steel industry’s health – and therefore, the thousands of manufacturing jobs it supports – would have been put at risk by international competition that competes with the benefit of heavy government subsidies.
Related recent Blogs
- IMTS 2014: The View From AAM's Booth • by mmcmullan • 09/12/2014
- Sneak Peek: Titan-American Built Star Titan Gilroy Chats with Scott Paul about the Made-in-China Bay Bridge • by elizabethbb • 09/10/2014
- Public and Private Sectors Come Together to Promote Infrastructure Investment • by elizabethbb • 09/09/2014
- Berry Could Be a Big Win for American Shoemakers • by mmcmullan • 09/08/2014
- Visit AAM This Week at the International Manufacturing Technology Show • by TGarland • 09/07/2014
- Manufacturing sector gains zero jobs in August: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) statement. • by scapozzola • 09/05/2014
- China trade deficit hits new record in July: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) statement. • by scapozzola • 09/04/2014
- Green Bay v. Seattle: Both Cities Victors in Manufacturing • by elizabethbb • 09/04/2014
- Joe Biden Praises Apprenticeships at NH Shipyard • by mmcmullan • 09/03/2014
- We’re Celebrating Factory Man — and You Could Win a Copy! • by elizabethbb • 09/03/2014