ITC made the right call on hot-rolled steel imports
Yesterday the International Trade Commission (ITC) announced the findings of its five-year review of countervailing duty (CVD) and antidumping (AD) orders placed on imports of hot-rolled steel from a handful of countries. But you know what, enough with the alphabet soup for a second. What was this case all about? From Joseph S. Pete at the Northwest Indiana Times:
The (ITC) ruled Tuesday that revoking existing duties on hot-rolled steel products from six foreign countries would cause economic damage to U.S. steelmakers and harm steelworkers, at least for the foreseeable future.
So the orders have been upheld. That’s a big deal; the steel products in question are hugely important to our domestic steel industry, because, no kidding, hot-rolled steel goes into just about everything. Cars, trains, appliances … you name it. Without those orders, the American steel industry’s health – and therefore, the thousands of manufacturing jobs it supports – would have been put at risk by international competition that competes with the benefit of heavy government subsidies.
Related recent Blogs
- Made in China: “A Mistake That Will Be Hard to Turn Around For Decades” • by elizabethbb • 08/27/2014
- American Workers Remind Us What Labor Day Is All About • by TGarland • 08/26/2014
- Burger King Brouhaha Shows Tax Reform Debate Will Be Potent • by mmcmullan • 08/26/2014
- The Fourth Option: A National Manufacturing Strategy • by mmcmullan • 08/25/2014
- ITC Finds South Korean Dumping of OCTG Pipe: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Statement. • by scapozzola • 08/22/2014
- Trade Data Pours Cold Water on "Rising Star" Outlook for American Manufacturing • by mmcmullan • 08/21/2014
- U.S. Named Among “Rising Global Stars” in Manufacturing • by elizabethbb • 08/20/2014
- If America Won’t Invest in America’s Infrastructure, China Will • by elizabethbb • 08/19/2014
- Yes, Manufacturing Jobs Are Coming Back. But Will Progress Happen Fast Enough? • by elizabethbb • 08/18/2014
- Improving Our Railways: A Key Part of Rebuilding America • by elizabethbb • 08/14/2014