Irony: House Republicans complaining about China currency but refusing to take action
House Ways and Means Chairman Dave Camp (R-MI), along with the Republican members of the Ways and Means Committee, sent a letter to the Obama Administration today regarding the upcoming meeting of the U.S.-China Strategic & Economic Dialogue (S&ED).
Their letter highlights key concerns regarding both U.S. access to China's market and Beijing's "currency misalignment," which continues to be a "serious problem."
There's an irony to this letter: these House Republicans talk about currency misalignment, but House Speaker John Boehner has refused to allow H.R.639, "The Currency Reform for Fair Trade Act," to come to the floor for a vote.
Boehner's obstruction on the bill is unfortunate since H.R.639, which would address China's undervalued currency and has already garnered 64 House Republican co-sponsors.
One has to wonder, though, if Speaker Boehner and others in the GOP would support Governor Romney's campaign pledge to designate China as a currency manipulator on day one of his presidency?
Related recent Blogs
- Foxx takes to the road to push for transportation fixes • by mmcmullan • 04/17/2014
- Obama vs. Bush: Who actually made more progress in revaluing China’s yuan? • by scapozzola • 04/16/2014
- Treasury decision on China currency will cost U.S. jobs: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Statement. • by scapozzola • 04/15/2014
- OPINION: Fix the vulnerable defense industrial base • by mmcmullan • 04/14/2014
- Manufacturing Jobs & #EqualPay • by LRaup • 04/11/2014
- Rep. Sandy Levin talks currency and the TPP • by mmcmullan • 04/10/2014
- Throwback Thursday: Obama promises 1 million new manufacturing jobs • by TGarland • 04/10/2014
- What can we expect from the upcoming Treasury report on exchange rates? • by mmcmullan • 04/08/2014
- Rep. Tonko brings filmmakers to Washington to talk American manufacturing • by TGarland • 04/08/2014
- RADIO: Why is manufacturing important for job creation in Michigan (and the U.S.)? • by scapozzola • 04/07/2014