Irony: House Republicans complaining about China currency but refusing to take action
House Ways and Means Chairman Dave Camp (R-MI), along with the Republican members of the Ways and Means Committee, sent a letter to the Obama Administration today regarding the upcoming meeting of the U.S.-China Strategic & Economic Dialogue (S&ED).
Their letter highlights key concerns regarding both U.S. access to China's market and Beijing's "currency misalignment," which continues to be a "serious problem."
There's an irony to this letter: these House Republicans talk about currency misalignment, but House Speaker John Boehner has refused to allow H.R.639, "The Currency Reform for Fair Trade Act," to come to the floor for a vote.
Boehner's obstruction on the bill is unfortunate since H.R.639, which would address China's undervalued currency and has already garnered 64 House Republican co-sponsors.
One has to wonder, though, if Speaker Boehner and others in the GOP would support Governor Romney's campaign pledge to designate China as a currency manipulator on day one of his presidency?
Related recent Blogs
- U.S. Named Among “Rising Global Stars” in Manufacturing • by elizabethbb • 08/20/2014
- If America Won’t Invest in America’s Infrastructure, China Will • by elizabethbb • 08/19/2014
- Yes, Manufacturing Jobs Are Coming Back. But Will Progress Happen Fast Enough? • by elizabethbb • 08/18/2014
- Improving Our Railways: A Key Part of Rebuilding America • by elizabethbb • 08/14/2014
- Five Tests Walmart Must Pass to Show its 'Made In America' Street Cred • by spaul • 08/13/2014
- More Evidence the "Jobs Recovery" Isn’t All It’s Cracked Up to Be • by elizabethbb • 08/12/2014
- More Work to Do, Indeed • by elizabethbb • 08/11/2014
- August 8, 2014: Maury is a close second to trade data in our book • by mmcmullan • 08/08/2014
- WTO Upholds Ruling Finding China Guilty in Rare Earths Export Restraints Case: Alliance for American Manufacturing statement. • by scapozzola • 08/07/2014
- No, Technology Isn’t an Automatic Job Killer • by elizabethbb • 08/07/2014