Irony: House Republicans complaining about China currency but refusing to take action
House Ways and Means Chairman Dave Camp (R-MI), along with the Republican members of the Ways and Means Committee, sent a letter to the Obama Administration today regarding the upcoming meeting of the U.S.-China Strategic & Economic Dialogue (S&ED).
Their letter highlights key concerns regarding both U.S. access to China's market and Beijing's "currency misalignment," which continues to be a "serious problem."
There's an irony to this letter: these House Republicans talk about currency misalignment, but House Speaker John Boehner has refused to allow H.R.639, "The Currency Reform for Fair Trade Act," to come to the floor for a vote.
Boehner's obstruction on the bill is unfortunate since H.R.639, which would address China's undervalued currency and has already garnered 64 House Republican co-sponsors.
One has to wonder, though, if Speaker Boehner and others in the GOP would support Governor Romney's campaign pledge to designate China as a currency manipulator on day one of his presidency?
Related recent Blogs
- Candidate Watch: We Need a Few More Details, Terri Lynn Land • by elizabethbb • 07/29/2014
- Fact Check: Standing Up Against Unfair Trade, Kentucky Edition • by TGarland • 07/25/2014
- Strengthened Workforce Training is Great — and We Can Do More • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Americans Want Trade Agreements that Do Not Undermine Manufacturing Jobs, New Poll Finds • by TGarland • 07/23/2014
- Highlights from AAM's Trip to Detroit for Netroots Nation 2014 • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Toxic Fast Food: Just the Latest Scandal Involving Made-in-China Products. • by elizabethbb • 07/22/2014
- Foxx Calls on Congress to Pass Long-Term Fix to the Highway Trust Fund • by TGarland • 07/21/2014
- President Obama proposes public-private infrastructure initiative: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) statement. • by scapozzola • 07/17/2014
- We’re Live From Netroots Nation! • by elizabethbb • 07/17/2014
- So Much For Promises: China's Manipulating Its Currency, Again • by mmcmullan • 07/17/2014