Irony: House Republicans complaining about China currency but refusing to take action
House Ways and Means Chairman Dave Camp (R-MI), along with the Republican members of the Ways and Means Committee, sent a letter to the Obama Administration today regarding the upcoming meeting of the U.S.-China Strategic & Economic Dialogue (S&ED).
Their letter highlights key concerns regarding both U.S. access to China's market and Beijing's "currency misalignment," which continues to be a "serious problem."
There's an irony to this letter: these House Republicans talk about currency misalignment, but House Speaker John Boehner has refused to allow H.R.639, "The Currency Reform for Fair Trade Act," to come to the floor for a vote.
Boehner's obstruction on the bill is unfortunate since H.R.639, which would address China's undervalued currency and has already garnered 64 House Republican co-sponsors.
One has to wonder, though, if Speaker Boehner and others in the GOP would support Governor Romney's campaign pledge to designate China as a currency manipulator on day one of his presidency?
Related recent Blogs
- More Exports Are Nice, but Let’s Not Forget about Surging Imports • by elizabethbb • 09/02/2014
- Budweiser Made in America Festival Lives Up to Its Name • by TGarland • 09/02/2014
- Labor Day Travel a Reminder Why We Need Infrastructure Investment • by elizabethbb • 08/29/2014
- Terri Lynn Land’s Transportation Plan is… Interesting • by elizabethbb • 08/28/2014
- Made in China: “A Mistake That Will Be Hard to Turn Around For Decades” • by elizabethbb • 08/27/2014
- American Workers Remind Us What Labor Day Is All About • by TGarland • 08/26/2014
- Burger King Brouhaha Shows Tax Reform Debate Will Be Potent • by mmcmullan • 08/26/2014
- The Fourth Option: A National Manufacturing Strategy • by mmcmullan • 08/25/2014
- ITC Finds South Korean Dumping of OCTG Pipe: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Statement. • by scapozzola • 08/22/2014
- Trade Data Pours Cold Water on "Rising Star" Outlook for American Manufacturing • by mmcmullan • 08/21/2014