Indiana manufacturing program expands
We're big fans of worker training programs. And now here comes another one: Community colleges and economic developers in northwest Indiana (the Region!) are moving ahead with a skills training project next years.
The Portage Economic Development Corp. (PEDCO) will implement the Advancing Manufacturing program in 2014 to train workers for skilled manufacturing jobs.
The program, sponsored by Ivy Tech Community College and Center for Workforce Innovations, aims to provide skills training for manufacturing jobs, assist in connecting people with those jobs and works to improve the image of manufacturing, said Craig Lamb of Ivy Tech's Corporate College in Lafayette.
The program will focus on training workers for middle skill jobs that require a high school education plus vocational training. The PEDCO class is funded by various resources and the is free to those who qualify. In a year, already-in-place resources that the program will draw on has match 14,920 applications with existing jobs in the area.
For more information on the Advanced Manufacturing program, visit their website.
Image via Flickr user Department of Labor, following Creative Commons guidelines.
Related recent Blogs
- March 10, 2014: Making moves for manufacturing • by mmcmullan • 03/10/2014
- March 7, 2014: Weak #MFG job growth and a big trade deficit earn Obama the saddest of trombones • by mmcmullan • 03/07/2014
- It wasn't all weather: What's behind the weak manufacturing jobs report. • by admin • 03/07/2014
- A Berry good story on American-made footwear • by mmcmullan • 03/06/2014
- White House economic adviser Gene Sperling shares words of wisdom on his way out • by TGarland • 03/05/2014
- EPI: Address currency manipulation and you address the jobs deficit • by mmcmullan • 03/05/2014
- A first look at the president's budget proposal for 2015 • by mmcmullan • 03/04/2014
- The U.S. needs a stronger domestic supply chain in the event of an attack • by TGarland • 03/04/2014
- Campaigns and political parties take note: We've got the key to attracting voters • by LDonia • 03/03/2014
- And the award goes to ... American workers • by TGarland • 03/03/2014