Illinois voters are concerned about their jobs in the auto parts industry.
Last weekend, Illinois Congressman Danny Davis (D-IL) spoke to a local meeting of members of the United Steelworkers (USW).
According to Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Field Coordinator Michael Mitchell, many in the audience for Rep. Davis's speech have jobs in the Illinois auto parts industry.
Overall, the U.S. auto parts sector has lost roughly 400,000 jobs over the past decade in large part due to subsidized imports from China. Illinois' auto parts industry is part of the 1.6 million U.S. jobs in the auto supply chain that are at risk unless action is taking to address China's mercantilist practices.
In his speech, Rep. Davis called for more enforcement of America's trade laws when facing such unfairly subsidized competition.
Davis is one of a bipartisan group of 188 Senators and Members of Congress who recently sent a letter to President Obama expressing “serious concern” about China’s massive subsidies for its auto parts sector.
Their letter encouraged the President to “use all existing authority under the law to preserve and protect U.S. production and jobs.”
Pictured above: Rep. Davis and Mitchell.
Related recent Blogs
- May 21, 2013 Headlines: Tensions with North Korea, a stronger WTO, and more. • by LRaup • 05/21/2013
- Shoring up our security means addressing the China challenge • by mmcmullan • 05/20/2013
- Quote of the Day from Caterpillar's Doug Oberhelman • by LDonia • 05/20/2013
- May 20, 2013 Headlines: Manufacturing & social media, growth of the U.S. economy, and more. • by LRaup • 05/20/2013
- President Obama visits Baltimore factory to promote infrastructure investment as a means of revitalizing the middle class • by LDonia • 05/17/2013
- May 17, 2013 Headlines: Strengthening our national security, focusing on jobs, and more. • by LRaup • 05/17/2013
- Five reasons you should be concerned about the U.S. military's reliance on foreign manufacturers. • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- Looking for a manufacturing job? Consider heading to one of these ten metro areas! • by mmcmullan • 05/16/2013
- National Retail Federation dismisses global safety plan for garment factories while Cambodian shoe factory collapses. • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- OPINION: Aren't we better off buying safe, Made-in-USA products? • by scapozzola • 05/16/2013