If Jeep manufactures vehicles in China...
A number of stories have been making the rounds over the past few days that Jeep could be moving its operations to China. The reports gained such credence that presidential candidate Mitt Romney even fretted about it to Ohio voters.
In fact, it looks like Jeep is simply considering setting up manufacturing operations in China in order to sell its vehicles in the Chinese market.
In a blog post, Chrysler set the record straight:
Jeep has no intention of shifting production of its Jeep models out of North America to China. It’s simply reviewing the opportunities to return Jeep output to China for the world’s largest auto market. U.S. Jeep assembly lines will continue to stay in operation. A careful and unbiased reading of the Bloomberg take would have saved unnecessary fantasies and extravagant comments.
Bottom line: It’s a good thing if Jeep sells its vehicles in China, as long as they aren't exported back to the U.S. However, it would be a much better thing if Jeep simply exported its vehicles from the U.S. to China.
Image by flickr user ToolManTimTaylor, used following Creative Commons guidelines.
Related recent Blogs
- March 7, 2014: Weak #MFG job growth and a big trade deficit earn Obama the saddest of trombones • by mmcmullan • 03/07/2014
- It wasn't all weather: What's behind the weak manufacturing jobs report. • by admin • 03/07/2014
- A Berry good story on American-made footwear • by mmcmullan • 03/06/2014
- White House economic adviser Gene Sperling shares words of wisdom on his way out • by TGarland • 03/05/2014
- EPI: Address currency manipulation and you address the jobs deficit • by mmcmullan • 03/05/2014
- A first look at the president's budget proposal for 2015 • by mmcmullan • 03/04/2014
- The U.S. needs a stronger domestic supply chain in the event of an attack • by TGarland • 03/04/2014
- Campaigns and political parties take note: We've got the key to attracting voters • by LDonia • 03/03/2014
- And the award goes to ... American workers • by TGarland • 03/03/2014
- March 3, 2014: Cold weather and cold Oscars pizza go together • by mmcmullan • 03/03/2014