If Jeep manufactures vehicles in China...
A number of stories have been making the rounds over the past few days that Jeep could be moving its operations to China. The reports gained such credence that presidential candidate Mitt Romney even fretted about it to Ohio voters.
In fact, it looks like Jeep is simply considering setting up manufacturing operations in China in order to sell its vehicles in the Chinese market.
In a blog post, Chrysler set the record straight:
Jeep has no intention of shifting production of its Jeep models out of North America to China. It’s simply reviewing the opportunities to return Jeep output to China for the world’s largest auto market. U.S. Jeep assembly lines will continue to stay in operation. A careful and unbiased reading of the Bloomberg take would have saved unnecessary fantasies and extravagant comments.
Bottom line: It’s a good thing if Jeep sells its vehicles in China, as long as they aren't exported back to the U.S. However, it would be a much better thing if Jeep simply exported its vehicles from the U.S. to China.
Image by flickr user ToolManTimTaylor, used following Creative Commons guidelines.
Related recent Blogs
- Congress Still Hasn't Made a Fix to the Highway Trust Fund • by mmcmullan • 07/30/2014
- UCLA Flood: A Real Life of Example of What Happens When We Ignore Our Infrastructure • by elizabethbb • 07/30/2014
- Candidate Watch: We Need a Few More Details, Terri Lynn Land • by elizabethbb • 07/29/2014
- Fact Check: Standing Up Against Unfair Trade, Kentucky Edition • by TGarland • 07/25/2014
- Strengthened Workforce Training is Great — and We Can Do More • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Americans Want Trade Agreements that Do Not Undermine Manufacturing Jobs, New Poll Finds • by TGarland • 07/23/2014
- Highlights from AAM's Trip to Detroit for Netroots Nation 2014 • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Toxic Fast Food: Just the Latest Scandal Involving Made-in-China Products. • by elizabethbb • 07/22/2014
- Drink Up with a Made in America Tervis Tumbler • by elizabethbb • 07/21/2014
- Foxx Calls on Congress to Pass Long-Term Fix to the Highway Trust Fund • by TGarland • 07/21/2014