HURRAH-- There will once again be USA-Made televisions.
Element Electronics has announced that it will begin production of flat screen, HD TV's at its factory in Detroit, Michigan in March 2012. This will make Element Electronics the only company assembling TV's in the United States.
The company says it made the decision to manufacture products in the U.S. in order to shorten its supply chain and related lead times, to be more responsive to American consumers, and reduce waste. The company also believes that a U.S.-based assembly plant will increase the out-of-the-box quality of its televisions:
"This was also an emotional decision for the company, maybe even a patriotic choice," explains Mike O'Shaughnessy, President of Element Electronics. "Element Electronics is an American company. Personally, I grew up in a small, blue-collar Ohio town. Our business is headquartered in Minneapolis, Minnesota. We are rooted in the Midwest. We have watched for years as jobs have left America for other countries. We have wanted to and planned for producing TV's here, at home. Element Electronics wants to pioneer a resurgence of creating quality manufacturing jobs in the USA."
Element Electronics believes global economic trends will make American production more economically viable over time and the company is scheduled to continue increasing production over the next few years. This will lead to increased job creation within Element Electronic factories and their suppliers.
In the short term, the company says that the plant will provide jobs for about 100 people but already has plans for expansion and additional hires down the road.
The HDTVs that Element Electronics will produce at the Michigan plant will be sold for "essentially the same prices" as those made in China.
Related recent Blogs
- May 20, 2013 Headlines: Manufacturing & social media, growth of the U.S. economy, and more. • by LRaup • 05/20/2013
- President Obama visits Baltimore factory to promote infrastructure investment as a means of revitalizing the middle class • by LDonia • 05/17/2013
- It's Fashion Friday, but NoCargo carries more than just American-made clothing! • by LDonia • 05/17/2013
- May 17, 2013 Headlines: Strengthening our national security, focusing on jobs, and more. • by LRaup • 05/17/2013
- Five reasons you should be concerned about the U.S. military's reliance on foreign manufacturers. • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- Looking for a manufacturing job? Consider heading to one of these ten metro areas! • by mmcmullan • 05/16/2013
- National Retail Federation dismisses global safety plan for garment factories while Cambodian shoe factory collapses. • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- OPINION: Aren't we better off buying safe, Made-in-USA products? • by scapozzola • 05/16/2013
- May 16, 2013 Headlines: factory collapses in Cambodia, U.S. retail industry dismisses plan for safer working conditions, & more • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- U.S. Senate Passes Water Resources Development Act (WRDA) with Buy America Amendment Included. • by scapozzola • 05/15/2013