Huffington Post reports Mitt Romney outsourced production of Olympic torchbearer uniforms to Burma
Last week, we told you about the U.S. Olympic Committee and Ralph Lauren’s ill-advised decision to manufacture the Olympic team’s opening ceremony uniforms in China.
At the time, Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney didn’t offer much of an opinion on the subject, other than to say, “The Olympic Games are about the athletes ... and these other matters are extraneous.”
Sabrina Siddiqui at The Huffington Post writes that, as head of the 2002 Winter Olympics Organizing Committee, Romney outsourced the production of 10,000 torchbearer uniforms to Burma.
It...exposes an embarrassing oversight in allowing the uniforms to be manufactured in Burma, which until just last year was controlled by a brutal military regime.
According to reports in 2002, the decision to outsource the torchbearer uniforms to Burma caused an uproar among human rights advocates and trade groups. It prompted the head of the International Confederation of Free Trade Unions to write a letter to the International Olympic Committee, stating that ‘No responsible organization or body should make use of products originating in Burma.’
Read more here.
Related recent Blogs
- The Big Three set the stage for a manufacturing renaissance • by TGarland • 12/10/2013
- December 10, 2013: Welcome back, GM • by mmcmullan • 12/10/2013
- Pharmaceutical companies' interests are covered in the TPP -- as for everyone else? Ehh ... • by mmcmullan • 12/09/2013
- A swing and a miss for Biden in Asia • by TGarland • 12/09/2013
- December 9, 2013: China reports biggest trade surplus in five years • by TGarland • 12/09/2013
- Kickstarting a manufacturing renaissance • by TGarland • 12/06/2013
- December 6, 2013: The #AAMeter, it moves (in the right direction)! • by mmcmullan • 12/06/2013
- U.S. Manufacturing Gains 27,000 Jobs in November: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Statement. • by scapozzola • 12/06/2013
- Indiana manufacturing program expands • by TGarland • 12/05/2013
- Scott Paul: Keep skilled jobs for skilled workers in Washington • by mmcmullan • 12/05/2013