Huffington Post reports Mitt Romney outsourced production of Olympic torchbearer uniforms to Burma
Last week, we told you about the U.S. Olympic Committee and Ralph Lauren’s ill-advised decision to manufacture the Olympic team’s opening ceremony uniforms in China.
At the time, Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney didn’t offer much of an opinion on the subject, other than to say, “The Olympic Games are about the athletes ... and these other matters are extraneous.”
Sabrina Siddiqui at The Huffington Post writes that, as head of the 2002 Winter Olympics Organizing Committee, Romney outsourced the production of 10,000 torchbearer uniforms to Burma.
It...exposes an embarrassing oversight in allowing the uniforms to be manufactured in Burma, which until just last year was controlled by a brutal military regime.
According to reports in 2002, the decision to outsource the torchbearer uniforms to Burma caused an uproar among human rights advocates and trade groups. It prompted the head of the International Confederation of Free Trade Unions to write a letter to the International Olympic Committee, stating that ‘No responsible organization or body should make use of products originating in Burma.’
Read more here.
Related recent Blogs
- December 4, 2013: Familiar trade deficit doldrums • by mmcmullan • 12/04/2013
- China trade deficit on pace for new record, but will anyone notice? Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Statement. • by scapozzola • 12/04/2013
- What to do with abandoned factories? Bring in the artists! • by LDonia • 12/03/2013
- Surprise, surprise? Americans still say job creation should be top priority • by mmcmullan • 12/03/2013
- December 3, 2013: One number shows a #MFG uptick. Does that mean more #MFG jobs? • by mmcmullan • 12/03/2013
- Fmr. Transportaion Secretary Ray LaHood urges infrastructure investment • by TGarland • 12/02/2013
- The Computer Wore Heels: Check out "Top Secret Rosies" • by mmcmullan • 12/02/2013
- December 2, 2013: American-made holiday shopping • by LDonia • 12/02/2013
- 51 American-made holiday gifts from around the country • by LDonia • 11/27/2013
- The Veep heads to Asia, while Michigan Democrats and automakers press the "currency issue" in TPP talks • by TGarland • 11/27/2013