H.R. 1276 adds five new cosponsors
It's day ten of the government shutdown and a deal has yet to be reached in Washington.
Congress may be stuck in neutral, but the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade agreement is moving full speed ahead, in no small part due to the Obama administration goal of reaching a deal by year’s end. Yet many key areas in the TPP haven't yet been agreed upon. And President Obama's noticeable absence from a summit where the TPP was to be discussed (thanks to the ongoing government shutdown and the looming fiscal crisis) has hindered trade talks further.
Members of the House aren't waiting around for such a rule to make it into the TPP. H.R. 1276, the Currency Reform for Fair Trade Act, would add currency manipulation to the list of actionable offenses around which American businesses can bring trade relief cases to the International Trade Commission. That would be a big deal: Currency manipulation is prevalent among many of America's trading partners in Asia, and particularly with Japan, which is involved in the TPP talks.
H.R. 1276 is still picking up cosponsors in the House. Yesterday it picked up five new ones: Representatives Joyce Beatty (OH-3), Alcee Hastings (FL-20), Barbara Lee (CA-13), Jerry McNerney (CA-9), and Linda Sanchez (CA-38) all signed on. Smart move representatives! It’s the right one for workers and businesses in their districts.
Has your representative signed on to support American manufacturers and workers by opposing currency manipulation? Let ’em know what you think by sending a letter. Click right here.
Related recent Blogs
- Kickstarting a manufacturing renaissance • by TGarland • 12/06/2013
- December 6, 2013: The #AAMeter, it moves (in the right direction)! • by mmcmullan • 12/06/2013
- U.S. Manufacturing Gains 27,000 Jobs in November: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Statement. • by scapozzola • 12/06/2013
- Indiana manufacturing program expands • by TGarland • 12/05/2013
- Scott Paul: Keep skilled jobs for skilled workers in Washington • by mmcmullan • 12/05/2013
- December 5, 2013: Another voice for a currency rule in the TPP • by mmcmullan • 12/05/2013
- A bad time to sideline trade talks • by mmcmullan • 12/04/2013
- Infrastructure investment means job creation • by TGarland • 12/04/2013
- December 4, 2013: Familiar trade deficit doldrums • by mmcmullan • 12/04/2013
- China trade deficit on pace for new record, but will anyone notice? Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Statement. • by scapozzola • 12/04/2013