H.R. 1276 adds five new cosponsors
It's day ten of the government shutdown and a deal has yet to be reached in Washington.
Congress may be stuck in neutral, but the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade agreement is moving full speed ahead, in no small part due to the Obama administration goal of reaching a deal by year’s end. Yet many key areas in the TPP haven't yet been agreed upon. And President Obama's noticeable absence from a summit where the TPP was to be discussed (thanks to the ongoing government shutdown and the looming fiscal crisis) has hindered trade talks further.
Members of the House aren't waiting around for such a rule to make it into the TPP. H.R. 1276, the Currency Reform for Fair Trade Act, would add currency manipulation to the list of actionable offenses around which American businesses can bring trade relief cases to the International Trade Commission. That would be a big deal: Currency manipulation is prevalent among many of America's trading partners in Asia, and particularly with Japan, which is involved in the TPP talks.
H.R. 1276 is still picking up cosponsors in the House. Yesterday it picked up five new ones: Representatives Joyce Beatty (OH-3), Alcee Hastings (FL-20), Barbara Lee (CA-13), Jerry McNerney (CA-9), and Linda Sanchez (CA-38) all signed on. Smart move representatives! It’s the right one for workers and businesses in their districts.
Has your representative signed on to support American manufacturers and workers by opposing currency manipulation? Let ’em know what you think by sending a letter. Click right here.
Related recent Blogs
- Candidate Watch: We Need a Few More Details, Terri Lynn Land • by elizabethbb • 07/29/2014
- Fact Check: Standing Up Against Unfair Trade, Kentucky Edition • by TGarland • 07/25/2014
- Strengthened Workforce Training is Great — and We Can Do More • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Americans Want Trade Agreements that Do Not Undermine Manufacturing Jobs, New Poll Finds • by TGarland • 07/23/2014
- Highlights from AAM's Trip to Detroit for Netroots Nation 2014 • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Toxic Fast Food: Just the Latest Scandal Involving Made-in-China Products. • by elizabethbb • 07/22/2014
- Foxx Calls on Congress to Pass Long-Term Fix to the Highway Trust Fund • by TGarland • 07/21/2014
- President Obama proposes public-private infrastructure initiative: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) statement. • by scapozzola • 07/17/2014
- We’re Live From Netroots Nation! • by elizabethbb • 07/17/2014
- So Much For Promises: China's Manipulating Its Currency, Again • by mmcmullan • 07/17/2014