How's the president going to get there on his transportation bill?
President Obama talks the talk. He understands the benefits that a strong manufacturing sector brings to the American economy. That’s why he was announcing manufacturing hubs on Tuesday, and was in St. Paul, Minnesota on Wednesday to talk about his plan for a federal transportation bill. Check him out, touring a new car on Minneapolis-St. Paul’s light-rail line:
We’re glad he’s on board (pun definitely intended). Because, as the president said -- “they're trying to out-build us today so they can out-compete us tomorrow," -- the international competition isn’t waiting around to get serious about repairing our infrastructure.
But how are we going to get that done? This blog has made note of our crumbling infrastructure before, and at the Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) we think a national infrastructure bank would be a solid way to fund the fixes for the 70,000 structurally deficient bridges across the country.
Howeva. That’s gotta go through Congress, where (unfortunately) well-intentioned and sound public policy often goes to die. And President Obama’s transportation overhaul proposal faces the same hurdle – it needs Congressional approval and cooperation on tax reform. That could be tricky. There are, however, plenty of things the president could do unilaterally to promote American industry and the jobs that come with it. Alliance for American Manufacturing President Scott Paul wrote those options up in an opinion right here.
Related recent Blogs
- ITC Finds South Korean Dumping of OCTG Pipe: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Statement. • by scapozzola • 08/22/2014
- Trade Data Pours Cold Water on "Rising Star" Outlook for American Manufacturing • by mmcmullan • 08/21/2014
- U.S. Named Among “Rising Global Stars” in Manufacturing • by elizabethbb • 08/20/2014
- If America Won’t Invest in America’s Infrastructure, China Will • by elizabethbb • 08/19/2014
- Yes, Manufacturing Jobs Are Coming Back. But Will Progress Happen Fast Enough? • by elizabethbb • 08/18/2014
- Improving Our Railways: A Key Part of Rebuilding America • by elizabethbb • 08/14/2014
- Five Tests Walmart Must Pass to Show its 'Made In America' Street Cred • by spaul • 08/13/2014
- More Evidence the "Jobs Recovery" Isn’t All It’s Cracked Up to Be • by elizabethbb • 08/12/2014
- More Work to Do, Indeed • by elizabethbb • 08/11/2014
- WTO Upholds Ruling Finding China Guilty in Rare Earths Export Restraints Case: Alliance for American Manufacturing statement. • by scapozzola • 08/07/2014