How dependent on China is the U.S. military?
A Pentagon investigation has found that components made in China have been used in the manufacture of America's F-35 fighter jet, B-1B bomber, and some F-16 fighters. Foreign sourcing for U.S. military hardware is prohibited under U.S. law unless a waiver has been granted.
The Pentagon investigation highlights the problems of America's shrinking defense industrial base, and of a growing dependence on overseas suppliers for key military hardware.
A report authored last year by Brigadier General John Adams (U.S. Army, retired) found that America's national security is threatened by a growing military reliance on foreign sourcing for raw materials, parts, and finished products.
Gen. Adams will be among the featured speakers at an Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) "Keep it Made in Rhode Island" event in Pawtucket next Thursday, March 20th. Other speakers at the meeting will include: U.S. Senator Jack Reed (D-RI); AAM President Scott Paul; Melissa Thomas, Raytheon Company; Janet Raymond, Providence/Cranston Workforce Investment Board; Frank Hotchkiss, United Steelworkers; and, Ron Chewning, The NanoSteel Company.
Image via Flickr user PreciousBytes, following Creative Commons guidelines.
Related recent Blogs
- U.S. Named Among “Rising Global Stars” in Manufacturing • by elizabethbb • 08/20/2014
- If America Won’t Invest in America’s Infrastructure, China Will • by elizabethbb • 08/19/2014
- Yes, Manufacturing Jobs Are Coming Back. But Will Progress Happen Fast Enough? • by elizabethbb • 08/18/2014
- Improving Our Railways: A Key Part of Rebuilding America • by elizabethbb • 08/14/2014
- Five Tests Walmart Must Pass to Show its 'Made In America' Street Cred • by spaul • 08/13/2014
- More Evidence the "Jobs Recovery" Isn’t All It’s Cracked Up to Be • by elizabethbb • 08/12/2014
- More Work to Do, Indeed • by elizabethbb • 08/11/2014
- WTO Upholds Ruling Finding China Guilty in Rare Earths Export Restraints Case: Alliance for American Manufacturing statement. • by scapozzola • 08/07/2014
- No, Technology Isn’t an Automatic Job Killer • by elizabethbb • 08/07/2014
- Secretary Foxx Wants YOU… to Do Something about Infrastructure • by elizabethbb • 08/06/2014