How dependent on China is the U.S. military?
A Pentagon investigation has found that components made in China have been used in the manufacture of America's F-35 fighter jet, B-1B bomber, and some F-16 fighters. Foreign sourcing for U.S. military hardware is prohibited under U.S. law unless a waiver has been granted.
The Pentagon investigation highlights the problems of America's shrinking defense industrial base, and of a growing dependence on overseas suppliers for key military hardware.
A report authored last year by Brigadier General John Adams (U.S. Army, retired) found that America's national security is threatened by a growing military reliance on foreign sourcing for raw materials, parts, and finished products.
Gen. Adams will be among the featured speakers at an Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) "Keep it Made in Rhode Island" event in Pawtucket next Thursday, March 20th. Other speakers at the meeting will include: U.S. Senator Jack Reed (D-RI); AAM President Scott Paul; Melissa Thomas, Raytheon Company; Janet Raymond, Providence/Cranston Workforce Investment Board; Frank Hotchkiss, United Steelworkers; and, Ron Chewning, The NanoSteel Company.
Image via Flickr user PreciousBytes, following Creative Commons guidelines.
Related recent Blogs
- Labor Day Travel a Reminder Why We Need Infrastructure Investment • by elizabethbb • 08/29/2014
- Terri Lynn Land’s Transportation Plan is… Interesting • by elizabethbb • 08/28/2014
- Made in China: “A Mistake That Will Be Hard to Turn Around For Decades” • by elizabethbb • 08/27/2014
- American Workers Remind Us What Labor Day Is All About • by TGarland • 08/26/2014
- Burger King Brouhaha Shows Tax Reform Debate Will Be Potent • by mmcmullan • 08/26/2014
- The Fourth Option: A National Manufacturing Strategy • by mmcmullan • 08/25/2014
- ITC Finds South Korean Dumping of OCTG Pipe: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Statement. • by scapozzola • 08/22/2014
- Trade Data Pours Cold Water on "Rising Star" Outlook for American Manufacturing • by mmcmullan • 08/21/2014
- U.S. Named Among “Rising Global Stars” in Manufacturing • by elizabethbb • 08/20/2014
- If America Won’t Invest in America’s Infrastructure, China Will • by elizabethbb • 08/19/2014