House votes to close loopholes for "Buy America" in pending transportation bill.
Today, the U.S. House of Representatives voted 245 to 169 to approve a "Motion to Instruct Conferees," which directs Members of a House conference committee to close loopholes and strengthen "Buy America" preferences in long-term surface transportation legislation being considered by a House-Senate conference committee.
Specifically, the Motion to Instruct directs conferees to adopt several Senate provisions to strengthen Buy America requirements, including:
- prohibit segmentation of highway, transit, and Amtrak projects;
- require opportunities for public notice and comment on waiver requests and publication in the Federal Register before waivers take effect;
- require review of longstanding waivers for highway and rail projects; and
- require an annual report on waivers granted by the U.S. Department of Transportation.
The U.S. has utilized a preference for American-made goods in highway and transit projects for 30 years. Such legislation has included waivers for instances where a needed material/good is not made in the U.S. or the cost rise above a certain threshold point.
Related recent Blogs
- Washington State Bridge Collapse Illustrates Perils of Failing Infrastructure. • by scapozzola • 05/24/2013
- Reps. Daniel Lipinski (D-IL) and Michael Grimm (R-NY) form new Congressional Public Transportation Caucus. • by scapozzola • 05/23/2013
- Homeland Security and Gov. Tom Ridge • by scapozzola • 05/23/2013
- CNBC: Is a Chinese construction firm benefiting from its Beijing connection? • by scapozzola • 05/23/2013
- May 23, 2013 Headlines: Gains in the job market, small businesses manufacturing in the U.S.A., and more. • by LRaup • 05/23/2013
- VIDEO: Concerns about America's defense industrial base • by scapozzola • 05/22/2013
- CNBC: China investing in U.S. • by scapozzola • 05/22/2013
- In Indiana, ongoing concerns about subsidized auto parts from China and Japan • by scapozzola • 05/22/2013
- RADIO: AAM's Scott Paul on Leslie Marshall Radio Show, May 20, 2013 • by scapozzola • 05/21/2013
- Shoring up our security means addressing the China challenge • by mmcmullan • 05/20/2013