House and Senate pass highway bill that includes updated Buy America preferences
The Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) commends the House and Senate for sending a highway bill to the President’s desk. This is an important jobs bill that will get critical infrastructure projects in motion throughout the country.
Passing a major infrastructure investment package has long been a key component of AAM's manufacturing agenda,
and that includes updates to America's highways, bridges, and rail.
AAM is pleased that Congress has recognized the importance of Buy America for the nation's manufacturing companies and their workers. The conference report of the highway bill contains several modest improvements to longstanding Buy America laws, including a provision that will end a segmentation loophole that is sometimes used to avoid utilizing American-made steel, iron, and manufactured goods when building highways and bridges.
The outsourcing of steel to China for the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge serves as a glaring example of the need to continue strengthening Buy America.
AAM commends Senators Sherrod Brown (D-O) and Jeff Merkley (D-OR) for their support of Buy America in the Senate, as well as Reps. Nick Rahall (D-WV) and Chip Cravaack (R-MN) in the House.
Related recent Blogs
- RADIO: AAM's Scott Paul on Leslie Marshall Radio Show, May 20, 2013 • by scapozzola • 05/21/2013
- Shoring up our security means addressing the China challenge • by mmcmullan • 05/20/2013
- Quote of the Day from Caterpillar's Doug Oberhelman • by LDonia • 05/20/2013
- President Obama visits Baltimore factory to promote infrastructure investment as a means of revitalizing the middle class • by LDonia • 05/17/2013
- Five reasons you should be concerned about the U.S. military's reliance on foreign manufacturers. • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- Looking for a manufacturing job? Consider heading to one of these ten metro areas! • by mmcmullan • 05/16/2013
- National Retail Federation dismisses global safety plan for garment factories while Cambodian shoe factory collapses. • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- OPINION: Aren't we better off buying safe, Made-in-USA products? • by scapozzola • 05/16/2013
- May 16, 2013 Headlines: factory collapses in Cambodia, U.S. retail industry dismisses plan for safer working conditions, & more • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- U.S. Senate Passes Water Resources Development Act (WRDA) with Buy America Amendment Included. • by scapozzola • 05/15/2013