House and Senate pass highway bill that includes updated Buy America preferences
The Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) commends the House and Senate for sending a highway bill to the President’s desk. This is an important jobs bill that will get critical infrastructure projects in motion throughout the country.
Passing a major infrastructure investment package has long been a key component of AAM's manufacturing agenda,
and that includes updates to America's highways, bridges, and rail.
AAM is pleased that Congress has recognized the importance of Buy America for the nation's manufacturing companies and their workers. The conference report of the highway bill contains several modest improvements to longstanding Buy America laws, including a provision that will end a segmentation loophole that is sometimes used to avoid utilizing American-made steel, iron, and manufactured goods when building highways and bridges.
The outsourcing of steel to China for the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge serves as a glaring example of the need to continue strengthening Buy America.
AAM commends Senators Sherrod Brown (D-O) and Jeff Merkley (D-OR) for their support of Buy America in the Senate, as well as Reps. Nick Rahall (D-WV) and Chip Cravaack (R-MN) in the House.
Related recent Blogs
- More Exports Are Nice, but Let’s Not Forget about Surging Imports • by elizabethbb • 09/02/2014
- Budweiser Made in America Festival Lives Up to Its Name • by TGarland • 09/02/2014
- Labor Day Travel a Reminder Why We Need Infrastructure Investment • by elizabethbb • 08/29/2014
- Terri Lynn Land’s Transportation Plan is… Interesting • by elizabethbb • 08/28/2014
- Made in China: “A Mistake That Will Be Hard to Turn Around For Decades” • by elizabethbb • 08/27/2014
- American Workers Remind Us What Labor Day Is All About • by TGarland • 08/26/2014
- Burger King Brouhaha Shows Tax Reform Debate Will Be Potent • by mmcmullan • 08/26/2014
- The Fourth Option: A National Manufacturing Strategy • by mmcmullan • 08/25/2014
- ITC Finds South Korean Dumping of OCTG Pipe: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Statement. • by scapozzola • 08/22/2014
- Trade Data Pours Cold Water on "Rising Star" Outlook for American Manufacturing • by mmcmullan • 08/21/2014