Homeland Security and Gov. Tom Ridge
Congrats to Governor Tom Ridge, whose portrait was unveiled today at the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS). Ridge was being honored for his service as America's first Secretary of Homeland Security.
In the years since his DHS service, Gov. Ridge has continued to focus on the nation's security. In 2012, he co-authored a report with Col. Robert B. Stephan (USAF Retired) that found the United States at risk of being dangerously unprepared for serious emergencies due to continued offshoring of critical manufacturing sectors and a reliance on foreign suppliers for products.
The Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) released the report, which concluded that the U.S. must revitalize its manufacturing capacity to reduce such vulnerabilities.
As Gov. Ridge explained:
“There is a direct nexus between a strong domestic manufacturing sector and America’s ability to prevent, mitigate, recover from, and rebuild quickly in the wake of catastrophic events,” said Ridge. “Revitalizing America’s domestic manufacturing capacity must become a clear and urgent national priority at all levels of government and among industry leaders.”
Related recent Blogs
- Clean energy manufacturing gets help from DOE • by TGarland • 12/12/2013
- John Porcari, DOT Buy America champion, is stepping down • by mmcmullan • 12/12/2013
- Now there's an idea: Using trade policy as leverage with China • by mmcmullan • 12/11/2013
- 5 Keys to American-Made Holiday Shopping • by TGarland • 12/11/2013
- The Big Three set the stage for a manufacturing renaissance • by TGarland • 12/10/2013
- December 10, 2013: Welcome back, GM • by mmcmullan • 12/10/2013
- Pharmaceutical companies' interests are covered in the TPP -- as for everyone else? Ehh ... • by mmcmullan • 12/09/2013
- A swing and a miss for Biden in Asia • by TGarland • 12/09/2013
- Kickstarting a manufacturing renaissance • by TGarland • 12/06/2013
- U.S. Manufacturing Gains 27,000 Jobs in November: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Statement. • by scapozzola • 12/06/2013