Hey Governors-- Try buying American-made when investing in your state's infrastructure
It looks like the governors in various states of the U.S. are laying out their plans for 2013. And high atop their list of priorities is infrastructure investment.
According to a news roundup by "Building America's Future," no less than 16 governors are making the case for upgrading their respective state's bridges, roads, and other key transit and public works.
Unfortunately, none of them seem to have made the connection between creating jobs and using American-made steel and other components.
Research conducted in 2009 found that when domestic content is maximized, manufacturing employment gains from infrastructure investment increase by up to 33 percent. So, at a time when the U.S. manufacturing sector is trying to create new jobs, Buy America preferences should be a common-sense first step for policymakers seeking to rejuvenate a productive, wealth-creating sector of our economy.
Read more about the benefits to the U.S. economy of keeping it "Made in America."
Related recent Blogs
- Shoring up our security means addressing the China challenge • by mmcmullan • 05/20/2013
- Quote of the Day from Caterpillar's Doug Oberhelman • by LDonia • 05/20/2013
- President Obama visits Baltimore factory to promote infrastructure investment as a means of revitalizing the middle class • by LDonia • 05/17/2013
- Five reasons you should be concerned about the U.S. military's reliance on foreign manufacturers. • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- Looking for a manufacturing job? Consider heading to one of these ten metro areas! • by mmcmullan • 05/16/2013
- National Retail Federation dismisses global safety plan for garment factories while Cambodian shoe factory collapses. • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- OPINION: Aren't we better off buying safe, Made-in-USA products? • by scapozzola • 05/16/2013
- May 16, 2013 Headlines: factory collapses in Cambodia, U.S. retail industry dismisses plan for safer working conditions, & more • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- U.S. Senate Passes Water Resources Development Act (WRDA) with Buy America Amendment Included. • by scapozzola • 05/15/2013
- And the crystal ball says that U.S. manufacturing is going up/down/sideways... • by scapozzola • 05/15/2013