Harkin and Braley lead push for National Manufacturing Strategy
It appears that someone has been flipping through the Alliance for American Manufacturing's (AAM) playbook. After years of AAM pushing for a national manufacturing strategy, two lawmakers from Iowa are taking up the cause.
On Friday, Senator Tom Harkin (D-IA) disclosed some details of a new bill, the 'Rebuild American Manufacturing Act,' which would require the president to create and send to congress, a national manufacturing strategy every two years.
Harkin, quoted by George Ford in The Cedar Rapids Gazette said:
You might say ‘as manufacturing goes, so goes the economy.’ As manufacturing employment has fallen, we’ve seen wages stagnate, our trade deficit increase, unionization rates plummet and less domestic innovation.
In the House of Represenratives, Rep. Bruce Braley (D-IA) introduced an identical bill.
Image of Murray Iron Works in Clinton, IA by Flickr user Loco Steve, used following Creative Commons guidelines.
Related recent Blogs
- VIDEO: Concerns about America's defense industrial base • by scapozzola • 05/22/2013
- CNBC: China investing in U.S. • by scapozzola • 05/22/2013
- In Indiana, ongoing concerns about subsidized auto parts from China and Japan • by scapozzola • 05/22/2013
- RADIO: AAM's Scott Paul on Leslie Marshall Radio Show, May 20, 2013 • by scapozzola • 05/21/2013
- May 21, 2013 Headlines: Tensions with North Korea, a stronger WTO, and more. • by LRaup • 05/21/2013
- Shoring up our security means addressing the China challenge • by mmcmullan • 05/20/2013
- Quote of the Day from Caterpillar's Doug Oberhelman • by LDonia • 05/20/2013
- May 20, 2013 Headlines: Manufacturing & social media, growth of the U.S. economy, and more. • by LRaup • 05/20/2013
- President Obama visits Baltimore factory to promote infrastructure investment as a means of revitalizing the middle class • by LDonia • 05/17/2013
- It's Fashion Friday, but NoCargo carries more than just American-made clothing! • by LDonia • 05/17/2013