Happy Belated Manufacturing Day!
As you probably already know, last Friday (Oct. 4, 2013) was MFG (Manufacturing) Day. The Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) is very proud to have been a sponsor of this event.
That said, we didn't talk much about Manufacturing Day on Friday. Indeed, we decided to instead focus on the jobs report, or lack thereof. The Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) did not release its monthly report because of the government shutdown. AAM wanted to ensure that the jobs conversation was not neglected just because the BLS did not release the numbers.
But while we'll continue to update the jobs report AAM created, we didn't want to let the excitement of the second annual MFG Day pass with nary a mention. The truth is, we had a couple of cool things planned. For example, the video below.
Additive manufacturing -- possibly better known as 3D printing -- is one of the hottest topics in manufacturing these days. It's almost entirely unavoidable! And yet, we frequently hear from regular ManufactureThis readers that they don't understand what it is. Fear not! We've got you covered.
We took a field trip out to Towson University in Baltimore, Maryland and met with Jan Baum, the founder and director of the Object Lab. Baum teaches students at Towson to use various tools for additive manufacturing, including ... you guessed it ... the 3D printer.
Baum gave us a very non-technical explanation of 3D printing that we hope will help our readers understand the technology. Additionally, Baum and her students spoke with us about a number of other topics, including jobs in additive manufacturing, STEM education, and how additive manufacturing will affect the workforce. We'll release more excerpts of our visit to the Object Lab soon! Until then, check out the video below:
Related recent Blogs
- Foxx takes to the road to push for transportation fixes • by mmcmullan • 04/17/2014
- Obama vs. Bush: Who actually made more progress in revaluing China’s yuan? • by scapozzola • 04/16/2014
- Treasury decision on China currency will cost U.S. jobs: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Statement. • by scapozzola • 04/15/2014
- Gathered in the USA • by TGarland • 04/15/2014
- OPINION: Fix the vulnerable defense industrial base • by mmcmullan • 04/14/2014
- April 14, 2014: Opinions, opinions, and Peeps • by mmcmullan • 04/14/2014
- Fashion Friday: Accessorizing the American-made way • by LRaup • 04/11/2014
- Manufacturing Jobs & #EqualPay • by LRaup • 04/11/2014
- April 11, 2014: Cherry blossoms! • by mmcmullan • 04/11/2014
- Rep. Sandy Levin talks currency and the TPP • by mmcmullan • 04/10/2014