Happy Belated Manufacturing Day!
As you probably already know, last Friday (Oct. 4, 2013) was MFG (Manufacturing) Day. The Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) is very proud to have been a sponsor of this event.
That said, we didn't talk much about Manufacturing Day on Friday. Indeed, we decided to instead focus on the jobs report, or lack thereof. The Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) did not release its monthly report because of the government shutdown. AAM wanted to ensure that the jobs conversation was not neglected just because the BLS did not release the numbers.
But while we'll continue to update the jobs report AAM created, we didn't want to let the excitement of the second annual MFG Day pass with nary a mention. The truth is, we had a couple of cool things planned. For example, the video below.
Additive manufacturing -- possibly better known as 3D printing -- is one of the hottest topics in manufacturing these days. It's almost entirely unavoidable! And yet, we frequently hear from regular ManufactureThis readers that they don't understand what it is. Fear not! We've got you covered.
We took a field trip out to Towson University in Baltimore, Maryland and met with Jan Baum, the founder and director of the Object Lab. Baum teaches students at Towson to use various tools for additive manufacturing, including ... you guessed it ... the 3D printer.
Baum gave us a very non-technical explanation of 3D printing that we hope will help our readers understand the technology. Additionally, Baum and her students spoke with us about a number of other topics, including jobs in additive manufacturing, STEM education, and how additive manufacturing will affect the workforce. We'll release more excerpts of our visit to the Object Lab soon! Until then, check out the video below:
Related recent Blogs
- More Exports Are Nice, but Let’s Not Forget about Surging Imports • by elizabethbb • 09/02/2014
- Budweiser Made in America Festival Lives Up to Its Name • by TGarland • 09/02/2014
- Labor Day Travel a Reminder Why We Need Infrastructure Investment • by elizabethbb • 08/29/2014
- Terri Lynn Land’s Transportation Plan is… Interesting • by elizabethbb • 08/28/2014
- Made in China: “A Mistake That Will Be Hard to Turn Around For Decades” • by elizabethbb • 08/27/2014
- American Workers Remind Us What Labor Day Is All About • by TGarland • 08/26/2014
- Burger King Brouhaha Shows Tax Reform Debate Will Be Potent • by mmcmullan • 08/26/2014
- The Fourth Option: A National Manufacturing Strategy • by mmcmullan • 08/25/2014
- ITC Finds South Korean Dumping of OCTG Pipe: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Statement. • by scapozzola • 08/22/2014
- Trade Data Pours Cold Water on "Rising Star" Outlook for American Manufacturing • by mmcmullan • 08/21/2014