Good Jobs Green Jobs kicks off, is rolling
What's Good Jobs Green Jobs? A meeting of thousands of business and community leaders, union members, and environmentalists al interested in creating a clean, 21st century economy. In short: They want to #RepairAmerica. And a string of speakers, from United Steelworkers (USW) President Leo Gerard to AFL-CIO President Richard Trumka got the conference started.
Said Gerard: "We need to go to federal, state, and municipal level and demand we repair America and leave a better world for our children. ... Imagine what we could do to repair America if we could mobilize the millions of people with shared interests."
Trumka, on the other hand, pointed out the difference in infrastructure investment between the U.S. and China.
The U.S. hasn't a single mile of high speed rail. China chose to create millions of high speed rail jobs using public investment.
Following their speeches, a panel of experts discussed America’s infrastructure deficit. The panel emphasized that our roads and bridges remain deficient even after stimulus spending on infrastructure, and all of the panelists echoed this phrase: “Infrastructure is at the core of everything we do."
At AAM, we like their conviction: Infrastruture investment has the potential to create millions of American jobs while improving the long-term economic health of our country.
Senator Amy Klobuchar (D-MN) closed the morning session with her plan to #RepairAmerica:
The core of our economy needs to be based on being a country that makes stuff again!
Indeed. Check back here for more coverage of Good Jobs Green Jobs.
Pictured: Senator Amy Klobuchar (D-MN)
Related recent Blogs
- Quote Of The Day: "It's time the administration stiffened its spine" on trade issues • by mmcmullan • 04/22/2014
- Foxx takes to the road to push for transportation fixes • by mmcmullan • 04/17/2014
- Obama vs. Bush: Who actually made more progress in revaluing China’s yuan? • by scapozzola • 04/16/2014
- Treasury decision on China currency will cost U.S. jobs: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Statement. • by scapozzola • 04/15/2014
- OPINION: Fix the vulnerable defense industrial base • by mmcmullan • 04/14/2014
- Manufacturing Jobs & #EqualPay • by LRaup • 04/11/2014
- Rep. Sandy Levin talks currency and the TPP • by mmcmullan • 04/10/2014
- Throwback Thursday: Obama promises 1 million new manufacturing jobs • by TGarland • 04/10/2014
- What can we expect from the upcoming Treasury report on exchange rates? • by mmcmullan • 04/08/2014
- Rep. Tonko brings filmmakers to Washington to talk American manufacturing • by TGarland • 04/08/2014