Good Jobs Green Jobs kicks off, is rolling
What's Good Jobs Green Jobs? A meeting of thousands of business and community leaders, union members, and environmentalists al interested in creating a clean, 21st century economy. In short: They want to #RepairAmerica. And a string of speakers, from United Steelworkers (USW) President Leo Gerard to AFL-CIO President Richard Trumka got the conference started.
Said Gerard: "We need to go to federal, state, and municipal level and demand we repair America and leave a better world for our children. ... Imagine what we could do to repair America if we could mobilize the millions of people with shared interests."
Trumka, on the other hand, pointed out the difference in infrastructure investment between the U.S. and China.
The U.S. hasn't a single mile of high speed rail. China chose to create millions of high speed rail jobs using public investment.
Following their speeches, a panel of experts discussed America’s infrastructure deficit. The panel emphasized that our roads and bridges remain deficient even after stimulus spending on infrastructure, and all of the panelists echoed this phrase: “Infrastructure is at the core of everything we do."
At AAM, we like their conviction: Infrastruture investment has the potential to create millions of American jobs while improving the long-term economic health of our country.
Senator Amy Klobuchar (D-MN) closed the morning session with her plan to #RepairAmerica:
The core of our economy needs to be based on being a country that makes stuff again!
Indeed. Check back here for more coverage of Good Jobs Green Jobs.
Pictured: Senator Amy Klobuchar (D-MN)
Related recent Blogs
- It wasn't all weather: What's behind the weak manufacturing jobs report. • by admin • 03/07/2014
- A Berry good story on American-made footwear • by mmcmullan • 03/06/2014
- White House economic adviser Gene Sperling shares words of wisdom on his way out • by TGarland • 03/05/2014
- EPI: Address currency manipulation and you address the jobs deficit • by mmcmullan • 03/05/2014
- A first look at the president's budget proposal for 2015 • by mmcmullan • 03/04/2014
- The U.S. needs a stronger domestic supply chain in the event of an attack • by TGarland • 03/04/2014
- Campaigns and political parties take note: We've got the key to attracting voters • by LDonia • 03/03/2014
- And the award goes to ... American workers • by TGarland • 03/03/2014
- March 3, 2014: Cold weather and cold Oscars pizza go together • by mmcmullan • 03/03/2014
- 86th Annual Academy Awards: A glimpse at Los Angeles' manufacturing sector • by TGarland • 03/01/2014