GJGJ 2011 Opening Plenary Wednesday, Feb. 9
We're blogging live from Good Jobs, Green Jobs 2011, as Jared Bernstein, Chief Economist and Economic Policy Advisor to Vice President Joe Biden is delivering his remarks.
"Let's also recognize that the role of government in our lives is not a static role."
"Government has an important role to play in fostering innovation."
He is championing the importance of creating jobs and boost the manufacturing sector and the Obama administration's role in doing so.
"We will work tirelessly with you to make this vision a reality."
The plenary panel on sustainable communities is being introduced.
The panel is being moderated by "The Kojo Nnamdi Show" Host Kojo Nnamdi.
"Where we differ is not what we mean by sustainable communities...where we differ is how we get there.
U.S. Congressman Keith Ellison has been introduced by Nnamdi.
"9% unemployment is a national disgrace, we should not tolerate it!"
"What are we doing now? Let's do something for green jobs right away with making these homes more efficient."
"What if we had a multi-city tour for jobs and economic justice and we culminated that tour for a jobs and economic justice rally in Washington and forced the policy choices of everyone in office to putting Americans back to work..."
Lawrence J. Hanley, International President, Amalgamated Transit Union.
We spent more money last year on transit than any year in history and yet we have record increase in fares and record lay-offs...from our point of view its not just about sustaining our cities and sustaining our country, but sustaining the world.
Nnamdi is asking Clark Manus, FAIA, President, American Institute of Architects about our fascination with China.
"If you look at building efficiency and energy efficiency it should be of everyone's concern."
"30% of our memebers have been out of work as a result of what's happening in this economy. The difference that i've observed in our work in China is that they see a problem and they put that problem to work, they don't talk it to death."
He is discussing an eco-community that a Chinese client is planning on, and how the United States needs to stop talking and put these green, clean energy plans into action.
Jobs are an essential part of putting our communities back to where we think they will survive.
"The world is changing and our dream is changing...the notion that we have to have a movement in America is a really good point."
"Public transit is a civil right."
"If we are to have what we view as sustainable which includes good jobs and the ability for people to retire in dignity, then we are going to have to go out and build a movement."
Kathy Gerwig, Vice President Workplace Safety and Environmental Stewardship, Officer, Kaiser Permanente.
"If there is one myth that I'd like to bust, it's that being green costs more."
"It's [being green's] not just good for business, it's good for workers, it reduces sickness and injuries."
"The reason we have high unemployment is because we have inadequate demand, and we have inadequate demand because we have high unemployment...the way to fix this problem is to put people back to work."
Related recent Blogs
- VIDEO: Concerns about America's defense industrial base • by scapozzola • 05/22/2013
- CNBC: China investing in U.S. • by scapozzola • 05/22/2013
- In Indiana, ongoing concerns about subsidized auto parts from China and Japan • by scapozzola • 05/22/2013
- RADIO: AAM's Scott Paul on Leslie Marshall Radio Show, May 20, 2013 • by scapozzola • 05/21/2013
- May 21, 2013 Headlines: Tensions with North Korea, a stronger WTO, and more. • by LRaup • 05/21/2013
- Shoring up our security means addressing the China challenge • by mmcmullan • 05/20/2013
- Quote of the Day from Caterpillar's Doug Oberhelman • by LDonia • 05/20/2013
- May 20, 2013 Headlines: Manufacturing & social media, growth of the U.S. economy, and more. • by LRaup • 05/20/2013
- President Obama visits Baltimore factory to promote infrastructure investment as a means of revitalizing the middle class • by LDonia • 05/17/2013
- It's Fashion Friday, but NoCargo carries more than just American-made clothing! • by LDonia • 05/17/2013