Gillibrand and Israel introduce legislation to keep National Parks' souvenirs Made in America
Last week, on the eve of Independence Day celebrations, Sen. Kristen Gillibrand (D-NY) and Rep. Steve Israel (D-NY) announced new legislation that would require all merchandise sold in national parks to be made in the USA. According to the Staten Island Advance, the “American Parks, American Products Act” would apply to all items sold in the National Park Service in gift shops, visitor centers and at the National Archives.
As the rising trade deficit (particularly with China) continues to be cause for concern, it is encouraging to see lawmakers introduce legislation that helps promote American jobs and local economies.
“The celebration of our National Parks goes hand in hand with the pride of American-made products and our strong manufacturing tradition,” Gillibrand said.
She said the act “has the potential to support manufacturing jobs, and showcase American craftsmanship.”
Sen. Gillibrand has been a champion of similar issues in the past by speaking out about China’s illegal trade practices and introducing a Made in America competitive grant program designed to help revitalize manufacturing in her home state.
Post researched and written by AAM intern Jaclyn Knell.
Image of Grand Canyon Gift Shop taken by National Parks Services photographer Michael Quinn, used following Creative Commons guidelines.
Related recent Blogs
- Kickstarting a manufacturing renaissance • by TGarland • 12/06/2013
- December 6, 2013: The #AAMeter, it moves (in the right direction)! • by mmcmullan • 12/06/2013
- U.S. Manufacturing Gains 27,000 Jobs in November: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Statement. • by scapozzola • 12/06/2013
- Indiana manufacturing program expands • by TGarland • 12/05/2013
- Scott Paul: Keep skilled jobs for skilled workers in Washington • by mmcmullan • 12/05/2013
- December 5, 2013: Another voice for a currency rule in the TPP • by mmcmullan • 12/05/2013
- Some Made in America gift ideas for the obnoxious teenager in your life • by LDonia • 12/04/2013
- A bad time to sideline trade talks • by mmcmullan • 12/04/2013
- Infrastructure investment means job creation • by TGarland • 12/04/2013
- December 4, 2013: Familiar trade deficit doldrums • by mmcmullan • 12/04/2013