Geithner's Banking on Chinese Inflation to Boost U.S. Competitiveness
The Wall Street Journal reports that Treasury Secretary Tim Geithner informed the Senate Finance Committee that inflation in China would aid U.S. competitiveness.
According to the Journal, Geithner said:
The yuan is only “moving at about 0.5%-a month now against the dollar, but because their inflation rates are much higher than ours, if you look at the actual competitive balance now, its appreciating substantially more rapidly than that. And that’s very good, because it means that companies now as they choose where they build their next plant, where they lock in long-term contracts, they have to plan for the reality that the competitive playing field is going to be shifting in our direction. We’ve got to make sure that happens.”
So, we're depending on Chinese inflation to boost American manufacturing? C'mon, we can do better than that. Chinese inflation may help us be more competitive, but it's no substitute for a manufacturing strategy...or stopping China's cheating when it comes to currency manipulation and dumping.
Related recent Blogs
- President Obama visits Baltimore factory to promote infrastructure investment as a means of revitalizing the middle class • by LDonia • 05/17/2013
- It's Fashion Friday, but NoCargo carries more than just American-made clothing! • by LDonia • 05/17/2013
- May 17, 2013 Headlines: Strengthening our national security, focusing on jobs, and more. • by LRaup • 05/17/2013
- Five reasons you should be concerned about the U.S. military's reliance on foreign manufacturers. • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- Looking for a manufacturing job? Consider heading to one of these ten metro areas! • by mmcmullan • 05/16/2013
- National Retail Federation dismisses global safety plan for garment factories while Cambodian shoe factory collapses. • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- OPINION: Aren't we better off buying safe, Made-in-USA products? • by scapozzola • 05/16/2013
- May 16, 2013 Headlines: factory collapses in Cambodia, U.S. retail industry dismisses plan for safer working conditions, & more • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- U.S. Senate Passes Water Resources Development Act (WRDA) with Buy America Amendment Included. • by scapozzola • 05/15/2013
- And the crystal ball says that U.S. manufacturing is going up/down/sideways... • by scapozzola • 05/15/2013