Gallup Poll Shows Americans See China as (By Far) Biggest Economic Power
We've blogged on several polls, including our own national poll conducted by The Mellman Group, that show Americans increasingly view China, not the United States, as the world's biggest economic power. A Gallup poll released today only further confirms that notion.
By 52% to 32%, Americans are more likely to name China than the United States as the leading economic power in the world today, with Japan a distant third at 7%. This is China's strongest lead on this Gallup measure, first asked in 2000, and is a major change from 2009, when China and the U.S. were nearly tied in Americans' perceptions about the leading power.
A Pew Research Survey reports similar findings:
Almost half (47%) of Americans say China is the world's leading economic power, while just 31% name the U.S. Three years ago -- prior to the global economic crisis--only 30% characterized China as the global economic leader, compared with 41% for the U.S.
In addition, the Gallup poll shows a 13-point surge in the past two years in the percentage of Americans who think that China will lead the world economy over the next two decades.
Related recent Blogs
- Kickstarting a manufacturing renaissance • by TGarland • 12/06/2013
- December 6, 2013: The #AAMeter, it moves (in the right direction)! • by mmcmullan • 12/06/2013
- U.S. Manufacturing Gains 27,000 Jobs in November: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Statement. • by scapozzola • 12/06/2013
- Indiana manufacturing program expands • by TGarland • 12/05/2013
- Scott Paul: Keep skilled jobs for skilled workers in Washington • by mmcmullan • 12/05/2013
- December 5, 2013: Another voice for a currency rule in the TPP • by mmcmullan • 12/05/2013
- Some Made in America gift ideas for the obnoxious teenager in your life • by LDonia • 12/04/2013
- A bad time to sideline trade talks • by mmcmullan • 12/04/2013
- Infrastructure investment means job creation • by TGarland • 12/04/2013
- December 4, 2013: Familiar trade deficit doldrums • by mmcmullan • 12/04/2013