Gallup poll: Americans see a China on the rise
A new Gallup poll reveals that a majority of Americans believe China is the "world's leading economic power."
The fact that "world's leading economic power" is an amorphous term is only of small comfort to cheerleaders for America's economy (like yours truly at the Alliance for American Manufacturing [AAM]). While the United States remains the world's largest economy, China's is ascendant -- just this month, in fact, it became the world's largest trading partner, barely edging past the U.S.
That ascension is fueled in no small part by our uneven trading relationship with Beijing and China's habit of taking (stealing) what it has trouble producing on its own. But perception is a big part of the game, and many people right here at home are pretty pessimistic about America's global economic standing; both where we are, and where we're going.
Fret not, America! We're looking out for you. Here in Washington, we've laid out a plan to get our economy humming again. And we promise to keep banging the drum for American manufacturing and the middle-class jobs that come with it, until this negative perception starts to turn around.
Until then: Check out Gallup's poll here.
Related recent Blogs
- President Obama visits Baltimore factory to promote infrastructure investment as a means of revitalizing the middle class • by LDonia • 05/17/2013
- May 17, 2013 Headlines: Strengthening our national security, focusing on jobs, and more. • by LRaup • 05/17/2013
- Five reasons you should be concerned about the U.S. military's reliance on foreign manufacturers. • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- Looking for a manufacturing job? Consider heading to one of these ten metro areas! • by mmcmullan • 05/16/2013
- National Retail Federation dismisses global safety plan for garment factories while Cambodian shoe factory collapses. • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- OPINION: Aren't we better off buying safe, Made-in-USA products? • by scapozzola • 05/16/2013
- May 16, 2013 Headlines: factory collapses in Cambodia, U.S. retail industry dismisses plan for safer working conditions, & more • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- U.S. Senate Passes Water Resources Development Act (WRDA) with Buy America Amendment Included. • by scapozzola • 05/15/2013
- And the crystal ball says that U.S. manufacturing is going up/down/sideways... • by scapozzola • 05/15/2013
- Japan's currency moves are heating up a trade problem • by scapozzola • 05/15/2013