Gallup poll: Americans see a China on the rise
A new Gallup poll reveals that a majority of Americans believe China is the "world's leading economic power."
The fact that "world's leading economic power" is an amorphous term is only of small comfort to cheerleaders for America's economy (like yours truly at the Alliance for American Manufacturing [AAM]). While the United States remains the world's largest economy, China's is ascendant -- just this month, in fact, it became the world's largest trading partner, barely edging past the U.S.
That ascension is fueled in no small part by our uneven trading relationship with Beijing and China's habit of taking (stealing) what it has trouble producing on its own. But perception is a big part of the game, and many people right here at home are pretty pessimistic about America's global economic standing; both where we are, and where we're going.
Fret not, America! We're looking out for you. Here in Washington, we've laid out a plan to get our economy humming again. And we promise to keep banging the drum for American manufacturing and the middle-class jobs that come with it, until this negative perception starts to turn around.
Until then: Check out Gallup's poll here.
Related recent Blogs
- Generally favorable manufacturing survey for New York state • by scapozzola • 06/18/2013
- President Obama talks about China on Charlie Rose. • by scapozzola • 06/18/2013
- Checking-in from manufacturing conferences in Wisconsin • by LDonia • 06/17/2013
- Make the right choice for your pet -- buy American-made • by TGarland • 06/17/2013
- June 17, 2013 Headlines: Negotiation of a free trade deal, North Korea's proposition for the U.S., and more. • by LRaup • 06/17/2013
- A Discussion on the Obama-Xi Summit • by TGarland • 06/13/2013
- Chart of the Day: A tough three months for America's manufacturing sector • by LDonia • 06/13/2013
- June 13, 2013 Headlines: Bill Clinton's take on U.S. manufacturing, troubled trade agreements, and more. • by LRaup • 06/13/2013
- Manufacturing employment will level off, says report • by mmcmullan • 06/12/2013
- The Relationship Between the U.S. and China • by TGarland • 06/12/2013