The Full Story on June's Jobs Report
The White House has a lot to say about the most recent job numbers. On Sunday, supporters received an email touting the auto industry recovery and the recent energy boom in the United States. And while the information is accurate, the Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) wanted to add a few facts.
The Auto Industry
The American auto industry’s recovery deserves recognition, but manufacturing job growth as whole have reached a near-standstill. The manufacturing sector accounted for only 5.6 percent of job growth in June.
And President Obama still has a campaign promise to fulfill: creating 1 million new manufacturing jobs in his second term. AAM has tracked his progress. According to the #AAMeter, the U.S. economy has only added 156,000 manufacturing jobs since the start of President Obama’s second term.
The Energy Boom
The U.S. is exploring natural gas and oil to move toward energy independence and we’re on the right track. But the final determination of a trade case at the Department of Commerce may take us down a path of swapping our dependence on foreign oil for a dependence on imported energy infrastructure.
Nine countries, primarily South Korea, are dumping steel pipe--used in energy exploration--into the U.S. market, pricing it below fair-market value in violation of trade laws that are already on the books.
That’s putting hundreds of thousands of steel jobs at risk. Commerce Department officials will decide by July 10 whether to impose duties that will help to level the playing field.
Related recent Blogs
- Faribault Woolen Mill Thriving in its Third Century of Business • by elizabethbb • 08/01/2014
- August 1, 2014: The Rare, Solid Manufacturing Jobs Report • by mmcmullan • 08/01/2014
- Manufacturing sector adds 28,000 jobs in July: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) statement. • by scapozzola • 08/01/2014
- New "Gigafactory" set to create thousands of jobs in the U.S. • by TGarland • 07/31/2014
- Congress Still Hasn't Made a Fix to the Highway Trust Fund • by mmcmullan • 07/30/2014
- UCLA Flood: A Real Life of Example of What Happens When We Ignore Our Infrastructure • by elizabethbb • 07/30/2014
- Candidate Watch: We Need a Few More Details, Terri Lynn Land • by elizabethbb • 07/29/2014
- Fact Check: Standing Up Against Unfair Trade, Kentucky Edition • by TGarland • 07/25/2014
- Strengthened Workforce Training is Great — and We Can Do More • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Americans Want Trade Agreements that Do Not Undermine Manufacturing Jobs, New Poll Finds • by TGarland • 07/23/2014