The Full Story on June's Jobs Report
The White House has a lot to say about the most recent job numbers. On Sunday, supporters received an email touting the auto industry recovery and the recent energy boom in the United States. And while the information is accurate, the Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) wanted to add a few facts.
The Auto Industry
The American auto industry’s recovery deserves recognition, but manufacturing job growth as whole have reached a near-standstill. The manufacturing sector accounted for only 5.6 percent of job growth in June.
And President Obama still has a campaign promise to fulfill: creating 1 million new manufacturing jobs in his second term. AAM has tracked his progress. According to the #AAMeter, the U.S. economy has only added 156,000 manufacturing jobs since the start of President Obama’s second term.
The Energy Boom
The U.S. is exploring natural gas and oil to move toward energy independence and we’re on the right track. But the final determination of a trade case at the Department of Commerce may take us down a path of swapping our dependence on foreign oil for a dependence on imported energy infrastructure.
Nine countries, primarily South Korea, are dumping steel pipe--used in energy exploration--into the U.S. market, pricing it below fair-market value in violation of trade laws that are already on the books.
That’s putting hundreds of thousands of steel jobs at risk. Commerce Department officials will decide by July 10 whether to impose duties that will help to level the playing field.
Related recent Blogs
- Terri Lynn Land’s Transportation Plan is… Interesting • by elizabethbb • 08/28/2014
- Made in China: “A Mistake That Will Be Hard to Turn Around For Decades” • by elizabethbb • 08/27/2014
- American Workers Remind Us What Labor Day Is All About • by TGarland • 08/26/2014
- Burger King Brouhaha Shows Tax Reform Debate Will Be Potent • by mmcmullan • 08/26/2014
- The Fourth Option: A National Manufacturing Strategy • by mmcmullan • 08/25/2014
- ITC Finds South Korean Dumping of OCTG Pipe: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Statement. • by scapozzola • 08/22/2014
- Trade Data Pours Cold Water on "Rising Star" Outlook for American Manufacturing • by mmcmullan • 08/21/2014
- U.S. Named Among “Rising Global Stars” in Manufacturing • by elizabethbb • 08/20/2014
- If America Won’t Invest in America’s Infrastructure, China Will • by elizabethbb • 08/19/2014
- Yes, Manufacturing Jobs Are Coming Back. But Will Progress Happen Fast Enough? • by elizabethbb • 08/18/2014