Foxconn update-- another worker in China kills himself rather than keep working for Apple
Ahh, the wonderful world of labor in China...
Last week, we reported that roughly 1,000 workers had rioted at the Foxconn facility, in Chengdu, China, that manufactures Apple's iPad and iPhone. Those riots were not a surprise to those who have followed running accounts of the assembly facility's grueling labor conditions.
Now, comes news that a 23-year-old Foxconn worker has committed suicide. The man had joined the company last month. His body was found after he leaped from an apartment building.
Supposedly, Apple and Foxconn reached an agreement in March to "improve conditions for the 1.2 million workers assembling iPhones and iPads, a landmark decision that could change the way Western companies do business in China."
Better yet, though, why not simply build more Apple products in the U.S.?
We've explained this several times-- that U.S. manufacturers are far more productive than their Chinese counterparts.
If Apple built a high-tech facility in the U.S., they could manufacture iPhones and iPads here, without contributing to labor abuse...
Related recent Blogs
- President Obama visits Baltimore factory to promote infrastructure investment as a means of revitalizing the middle class • by LDonia • 05/17/2013
- May 17, 2013 Headlines: Strengthening our national security, focusing on jobs, and more. • by LRaup • 05/17/2013
- Five reasons you should be concerned about the U.S. military's reliance on foreign manufacturers. • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- Looking for a manufacturing job? Consider heading to one of these ten metro areas! • by mmcmullan • 05/16/2013
- National Retail Federation dismisses global safety plan for garment factories while Cambodian shoe factory collapses. • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- OPINION: Aren't we better off buying safe, Made-in-USA products? • by scapozzola • 05/16/2013
- May 16, 2013 Headlines: factory collapses in Cambodia, U.S. retail industry dismisses plan for safer working conditions, & more • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- U.S. Senate Passes Water Resources Development Act (WRDA) with Buy America Amendment Included. • by scapozzola • 05/15/2013
- And the crystal ball says that U.S. manufacturing is going up/down/sideways... • by scapozzola • 05/15/2013
- Japan's currency moves are heating up a trade problem • by scapozzola • 05/15/2013