A Foxconn factory may be coming to a town near you...
There's news that that Foxconn may build a manufacturing plant in the United States.
We've previously reported on the rough labor conditions at Foxconn factories in China, including an incident where roughly 1,000 workers rioted at a facility, in Chengdu, China, that manufactures Apple's iPad and iPhone. Those riots were not a surprise to those who have followed running accounts of the assembly facility's grueling labor conditions.
Tech magazine Fast Company says Foxconn is considering Los Angeles and Detroit as potential locations for a factory. Additionally, Digitimes mentions that Foxconn may go beyond just manufacturing and include a university training program.
Meanwhile, Foxconn chairman Terry Guo, at a recent public event, noted that the company is planning a training program for US-based engineers, bringing them to Taiwan or China to take part in the processes of product design and manufacturing.
The program will give the engineers an environment to learn the Chinese language, first-hand expereince in the manufacturing process, and a training that can be helpful after they return to the US, he added.
Foxconn is already in discussion with Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) over such a program, Guo disclosed.
Image of one of Foxconn's factories in China by Flickr User renaissancechambara, used following Creative Commons guidelines.
Related recent Blogs
- Faribault Woolen Mill Thriving in its Third Century of Business • by elizabethbb • 08/01/2014
- August 1, 2014: The Rare, Solid Manufacturing Jobs Report • by mmcmullan • 08/01/2014
- Manufacturing sector adds 28,000 jobs in July: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) statement. • by scapozzola • 08/01/2014
- New "Gigafactory" set to create thousands of jobs in the U.S. • by TGarland • 07/31/2014
- Congress Still Hasn't Made a Fix to the Highway Trust Fund • by mmcmullan • 07/30/2014
- UCLA Flood: A Real Life of Example of What Happens When We Ignore Our Infrastructure • by elizabethbb • 07/30/2014
- Candidate Watch: We Need a Few More Details, Terri Lynn Land • by elizabethbb • 07/29/2014
- Fact Check: Standing Up Against Unfair Trade, Kentucky Edition • by TGarland • 07/25/2014
- Strengthened Workforce Training is Great — and We Can Do More • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Americans Want Trade Agreements that Do Not Undermine Manufacturing Jobs, New Poll Finds • by TGarland • 07/23/2014