Filmmakers see bright future for American manufacturing ... maybe
Also in attendance were Vincent Vittorio and Nathaniel McGill, makers of American Made Movie. Yesterday, the Wall Street Journal's Marketwatch blog published an opinion piece penned by Vittorio and McGill, who make it clear they believe American manufacturing has a great shot at a comeback.
What will it take to get the sector back on its feet?
Vittorio and McGill highlight a few things: More education programs that focus on the skills necessary to flourish in manufacturing careers; a consumer base that pays attention to where the products it purchases are made; a governmental agency dedicated to dealing with manufacturing; and tax incentives for companies that make products in the United States.
On this last point, Vittorio and McGill write:
As filmmakers, we get tax incentives for making our movies in certain states. Why not do the same for manufacturing companies? Tax incentives would keep U.S. companies from outsourcing and lure jobs back from overseas. In fact, this idea of bringing companies back to America would help bring almost five million jobs to our shores by 2020, reducing our stagnant unemployment rate by three percentage points.
If you're interested in the film (which opens nationwide on Friday and includes AAM President Scott Paul) or just want to hear more of what Vittorio and McGill have to say, tune into The Ed Show this Thursday (8/29/13) on MSNBC around 5:45pm. Both filmmakers will be guests on Ed Shultz's show.
Photo of American Made Movie's tour bus parked outside AAM's DC office.
Related recent Blogs
- Kickstarting a manufacturing renaissance • by TGarland • 12/06/2013
- December 6, 2013: The #AAMeter, it moves (in the right direction)! • by mmcmullan • 12/06/2013
- U.S. Manufacturing Gains 27,000 Jobs in November: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Statement. • by scapozzola • 12/06/2013
- Indiana manufacturing program expands • by TGarland • 12/05/2013
- Scott Paul: Keep skilled jobs for skilled workers in Washington • by mmcmullan • 12/05/2013
- December 5, 2013: Another voice for a currency rule in the TPP • by mmcmullan • 12/05/2013
- Some Made in America gift ideas for the obnoxious teenager in your life • by LDonia • 12/04/2013
- A bad time to sideline trade talks • by mmcmullan • 12/04/2013
- Infrastructure investment means job creation • by TGarland • 12/04/2013
- December 4, 2013: Familiar trade deficit doldrums • by mmcmullan • 12/04/2013