Filmmakers see bright future for American manufacturing ... maybe
Also in attendance were Vincent Vittorio and Nathaniel McGill, makers of American Made Movie. Yesterday, the Wall Street Journal's Marketwatch blog published an opinion piece penned by Vittorio and McGill, who make it clear they believe American manufacturing has a great shot at a comeback.
What will it take to get the sector back on its feet?
Vittorio and McGill highlight a few things: More education programs that focus on the skills necessary to flourish in manufacturing careers; a consumer base that pays attention to where the products it purchases are made; a governmental agency dedicated to dealing with manufacturing; and tax incentives for companies that make products in the United States.
On this last point, Vittorio and McGill write:
As filmmakers, we get tax incentives for making our movies in certain states. Why not do the same for manufacturing companies? Tax incentives would keep U.S. companies from outsourcing and lure jobs back from overseas. In fact, this idea of bringing companies back to America would help bring almost five million jobs to our shores by 2020, reducing our stagnant unemployment rate by three percentage points.
If you're interested in the film (which opens nationwide on Friday and includes AAM President Scott Paul) or just want to hear more of what Vittorio and McGill have to say, tune into The Ed Show this Thursday (8/29/13) on MSNBC around 5:45pm. Both filmmakers will be guests on Ed Shultz's show.
Photo of American Made Movie's tour bus parked outside AAM's DC office.
Related recent Blogs
- Budweiser Made in America Festival Lives Up to Its Name • by TGarland • 09/02/2014
- Labor Day Travel a Reminder Why We Need Infrastructure Investment • by elizabethbb • 08/29/2014
- Terri Lynn Land’s Transportation Plan is… Interesting • by elizabethbb • 08/28/2014
- Made in China: “A Mistake That Will Be Hard to Turn Around For Decades” • by elizabethbb • 08/27/2014
- American Workers Remind Us What Labor Day Is All About • by TGarland • 08/26/2014
- Burger King Brouhaha Shows Tax Reform Debate Will Be Potent • by mmcmullan • 08/26/2014
- The Fourth Option: A National Manufacturing Strategy • by mmcmullan • 08/25/2014
- ITC Finds South Korean Dumping of OCTG Pipe: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Statement. • by scapozzola • 08/22/2014
- Trade Data Pours Cold Water on "Rising Star" Outlook for American Manufacturing • by mmcmullan • 08/21/2014
- U.S. Named Among “Rising Global Stars” in Manufacturing • by elizabethbb • 08/20/2014