From the field: With smart businesses comes better community
A dispatch from the field, brought to you by Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Field Coordinator Rachel Bennett Steury:
I attended the Business Success Convention & Expo in Fort Wayne, Indiana earlier this month. Hosted by the Greater Fort Wayne Business Weekly, northeast Indiana’s business paper of record, the event provided local entrepreneurs the opportunity to trade ideas and engage in workshops designed to teach smarter business practices.
Since northeast Indiana is home to hundreds of manufacturers, the nuts and bolts of production considerations -- widgets, supply chains, and raw materials -- were front and center in many of those discussions.
Indianapolis Colts Community Spokesman Josh Bleill, an Iraq war veteran and Indiana native, delivered the expo’s keynote address. Bleill said it took a long time to find the strength to move forward with his life after losing both of his legs in the war. But, he said, his time in Iraq taught him to give 100 percent in every endeavor, because doing so bettered the chances of the men he was fighting alongside.
I believe a similarity can be drawn to business. Business leaders who give 100 percent to their organization and employees better the communities in which they work. A smartly run business that supports local jobs isn’t just a business; it’s also a community service.
Related recent Blogs
- What's funding the military buildup in China? • by TGarland • 04/23/2014
- Quote Of The Day: "It's time the administration stiffened its spine" on trade issues • by mmcmullan • 04/22/2014
- Foxx takes to the road to push for transportation fixes • by mmcmullan • 04/17/2014
- Obama vs. Bush: Who actually made more progress in revaluing China’s yuan? • by scapozzola • 04/16/2014
- Treasury decision on China currency will cost U.S. jobs: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Statement. • by scapozzola • 04/15/2014
- Gathered in the USA • by TGarland • 04/15/2014
- OPINION: Fix the vulnerable defense industrial base • by mmcmullan • 04/14/2014
- April 14, 2014: Opinions, opinions, and Peeps • by mmcmullan • 04/14/2014
- Fashion Friday: Accessorizing the American-made way • by LRaup • 04/11/2014
- Manufacturing Jobs & #EqualPay • by LRaup • 04/11/2014