From the field: With smart businesses comes better community
A dispatch from the field, brought to you by Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Field Coordinator Rachel Bennett Steury:
I attended the Business Success Convention & Expo in Fort Wayne, Indiana earlier this month. Hosted by the Greater Fort Wayne Business Weekly, northeast Indiana’s business paper of record, the event provided local entrepreneurs the opportunity to trade ideas and engage in workshops designed to teach smarter business practices.
Since northeast Indiana is home to hundreds of manufacturers, the nuts and bolts of production considerations -- widgets, supply chains, and raw materials -- were front and center in many of those discussions.
Indianapolis Colts Community Spokesman Josh Bleill, an Iraq war veteran and Indiana native, delivered the expo’s keynote address. Bleill said it took a long time to find the strength to move forward with his life after losing both of his legs in the war. But, he said, his time in Iraq taught him to give 100 percent in every endeavor, because doing so bettered the chances of the men he was fighting alongside.
I believe a similarity can be drawn to business. Business leaders who give 100 percent to their organization and employees better the communities in which they work. A smartly run business that supports local jobs isn’t just a business; it’s also a community service.
Related recent Blogs
- March 7, 2014: Weak #MFG job growth and a big trade deficit earn Obama the saddest of trombones • by mmcmullan • 03/07/2014
- It wasn't all weather: What's behind the weak manufacturing jobs report. • by admin • 03/07/2014
- A Berry good story on American-made footwear • by mmcmullan • 03/06/2014
- White House economic adviser Gene Sperling shares words of wisdom on his way out • by TGarland • 03/05/2014
- EPI: Address currency manipulation and you address the jobs deficit • by mmcmullan • 03/05/2014
- A first look at the president's budget proposal for 2015 • by mmcmullan • 03/04/2014
- The U.S. needs a stronger domestic supply chain in the event of an attack • by TGarland • 03/04/2014
- Campaigns and political parties take note: We've got the key to attracting voters • by LDonia • 03/03/2014
- And the award goes to ... American workers • by TGarland • 03/03/2014
- March 3, 2014: Cold weather and cold Oscars pizza go together • by mmcmullan • 03/03/2014