From the field: With smart businesses comes better community
A dispatch from the field, brought to you by Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Field Coordinator Rachel Bennett Steury:
I attended the Business Success Convention & Expo in Fort Wayne, Indiana earlier this month. Hosted by the Greater Fort Wayne Business Weekly, northeast Indiana’s business paper of record, the event provided local entrepreneurs the opportunity to trade ideas and engage in workshops designed to teach smarter business practices.
Since northeast Indiana is home to hundreds of manufacturers, the nuts and bolts of production considerations -- widgets, supply chains, and raw materials -- were front and center in many of those discussions.
Indianapolis Colts Community Spokesman Josh Bleill, an Iraq war veteran and Indiana native, delivered the expo’s keynote address. Bleill said it took a long time to find the strength to move forward with his life after losing both of his legs in the war. But, he said, his time in Iraq taught him to give 100 percent in every endeavor, because doing so bettered the chances of the men he was fighting alongside.
I believe a similarity can be drawn to business. Business leaders who give 100 percent to their organization and employees better the communities in which they work. A smartly run business that supports local jobs isn’t just a business; it’s also a community service.
Related recent Blogs
- Labor Day Travel a Reminder Why We Need Infrastructure Investment • by elizabethbb • 08/29/2014
- Terri Lynn Land’s Transportation Plan is… Interesting • by elizabethbb • 08/28/2014
- Made in China: “A Mistake That Will Be Hard to Turn Around For Decades” • by elizabethbb • 08/27/2014
- American Workers Remind Us What Labor Day Is All About • by TGarland • 08/26/2014
- Burger King Brouhaha Shows Tax Reform Debate Will Be Potent • by mmcmullan • 08/26/2014
- The Fourth Option: A National Manufacturing Strategy • by mmcmullan • 08/25/2014
- ITC Finds South Korean Dumping of OCTG Pipe: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Statement. • by scapozzola • 08/22/2014
- Trade Data Pours Cold Water on "Rising Star" Outlook for American Manufacturing • by mmcmullan • 08/21/2014
- U.S. Named Among “Rising Global Stars” in Manufacturing • by elizabethbb • 08/20/2014
- If America Won’t Invest in America’s Infrastructure, China Will • by elizabethbb • 08/19/2014