From the field: With smart businesses comes better community
A dispatch from the field, brought to you by Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Field Coordinator Rachel Bennett Steury:
I attended the Business Success Convention & Expo in Fort Wayne, Indiana earlier this month. Hosted by the Greater Fort Wayne Business Weekly, northeast Indiana’s business paper of record, the event provided local entrepreneurs the opportunity to trade ideas and engage in workshops designed to teach smarter business practices.
Since northeast Indiana is home to hundreds of manufacturers, the nuts and bolts of production considerations -- widgets, supply chains, and raw materials -- were front and center in many of those discussions.
Indianapolis Colts Community Spokesman Josh Bleill, an Iraq war veteran and Indiana native, delivered the expo’s keynote address. Bleill said it took a long time to find the strength to move forward with his life after losing both of his legs in the war. But, he said, his time in Iraq taught him to give 100 percent in every endeavor, because doing so bettered the chances of the men he was fighting alongside.
I believe a similarity can be drawn to business. Business leaders who give 100 percent to their organization and employees better the communities in which they work. A smartly run business that supports local jobs isn’t just a business; it’s also a community service.
Related recent Blogs
- An American-made case to protect your not so American-made phone • by TGarland • 07/25/2014
- Fact Check: Standing Up Against Unfair Trade, Kentucky Edition • by TGarland • 07/25/2014
- Strengthened Workforce Training is Great — and We Can Do More • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Americans Want Trade Agreements that Do Not Undermine Manufacturing Jobs, New Poll Finds • by TGarland • 07/23/2014
- Highlights from AAM's Trip to Detroit for Netroots Nation 2014 • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Toxic Fast Food: Just the Latest Scandal Involving Made-in-China Products. • by elizabethbb • 07/22/2014
- Drink Up with a Made in America Tervis Tumbler • by elizabethbb • 07/21/2014
- Foxx Calls on Congress to Pass Long-Term Fix to the Highway Trust Fund • by TGarland • 07/21/2014
- Back From Detroit, Eyes on Washington • by elizabethbb • 07/21/2014
- So Excellent, So Bodacious: Check Out Some American-made Smartphone Style • by mmcmullan • 07/18/2014