Federal Transit Administration (FTA) supports American-made vans that are wheelchair-accessible
As we've previously reported, in recent years the U.S. government has been purchasing wheelchair-accessible vans from overseas. Previously, Chrysler had manufactured such vehicles, but after they ceased production, there were no American manufacturers for wheelchair vans. Because of this, the Federal Transportation Administration (FTA) asked for an exemption from following Buy America requirements.
Now, however, Vehicle Production Group (VPG) is manufacturing these vehicles in the U.S. For this reason, it had asked the FTA to withdraw the waiver. As VPG's CEO Fred Drasner explains, “Actually, the waiver said until there was an American product available, it stayed in force. So by its own terms, it should be over.”
The Department of Transportation agrees with VPG and has now rescinded its waiver, stating that it "rescinds the waiver after confirming that the Vehicle Production Group has started producing a substantially similar vehicle, the MV-1, in the United States."
Related recent Blogs
- Trade Data Pours Cold Water on "Rising Star" Outlook for American Manufacturing • by mmcmullan • 08/21/2014
- U.S. Named Among “Rising Global Stars” in Manufacturing • by elizabethbb • 08/20/2014
- If America Won’t Invest in America’s Infrastructure, China Will • by elizabethbb • 08/19/2014
- Yes, Manufacturing Jobs Are Coming Back. But Will Progress Happen Fast Enough? • by elizabethbb • 08/18/2014
- Improving Our Railways: A Key Part of Rebuilding America • by elizabethbb • 08/14/2014
- Five Tests Walmart Must Pass to Show its 'Made In America' Street Cred • by spaul • 08/13/2014
- More Evidence the "Jobs Recovery" Isn’t All It’s Cracked Up to Be • by elizabethbb • 08/12/2014
- More Work to Do, Indeed • by elizabethbb • 08/11/2014
- WTO Upholds Ruling Finding China Guilty in Rare Earths Export Restraints Case: Alliance for American Manufacturing statement. • by scapozzola • 08/07/2014
- No, Technology Isn’t an Automatic Job Killer • by elizabethbb • 08/07/2014