Federal Transit Administration (FTA) supports American-made vans that are wheelchair-accessible
As we've previously reported, in recent years the U.S. government has been purchasing wheelchair-accessible vans from overseas. Previously, Chrysler had manufactured such vehicles, but after they ceased production, there were no American manufacturers for wheelchair vans. Because of this, the Federal Transportation Administration (FTA) asked for an exemption from following Buy America requirements.
Now, however, Vehicle Production Group (VPG) is manufacturing these vehicles in the U.S. For this reason, it had asked the FTA to withdraw the waiver. As VPG's CEO Fred Drasner explains, “Actually, the waiver said until there was an American product available, it stayed in force. So by its own terms, it should be over.”
The Department of Transportation agrees with VPG and has now rescinded its waiver, stating that it "rescinds the waiver after confirming that the Vehicle Production Group has started producing a substantially similar vehicle, the MV-1, in the United States."
Related recent Blogs
- Fact Check: Standing Up Against Unfair Trade, Kentucky Edition • by TGarland • 07/25/2014
- Strengthened Workforce Training is Great — and We Can Do More • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Americans Want Trade Agreements that Do Not Undermine Manufacturing Jobs, New Poll Finds • by TGarland • 07/23/2014
- Highlights from AAM's Trip to Detroit for Netroots Nation 2014 • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Toxic Fast Food: Just the Latest Scandal Involving Made-in-China Products. • by elizabethbb • 07/22/2014
- Foxx Calls on Congress to Pass Long-Term Fix to the Highway Trust Fund • by TGarland • 07/21/2014
- Back From Detroit, Eyes on Washington • by elizabethbb • 07/21/2014
- President Obama proposes public-private infrastructure initiative: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) statement. • by scapozzola • 07/17/2014
- We’re Live From Netroots Nation! • by elizabethbb • 07/17/2014
- So Much For Promises: China's Manipulating Its Currency, Again • by mmcmullan • 07/17/2014