February 24, 2014: More links in the #mfg hub chain
And why hello there, America. You’re looking well! We can’t say the same for ourselves; we barely got any sleep while watching all of the college hoops action. But no rest for the weary! There’s manufacturing news afoot:
First up: Tomorrow the White House will announce a few more of the links in the network of manufacturing hubit's been pushing. These are, you’ll recall, public-private partnerships based on existing models that are meant to generate industrial R&D … and, ultimately, manufacturing jobs. The next two hubs will be placed in Detroit Rock City and Sweet Home Chicago.
What’s our take? As part of a larger industrial policy, manufacturing hubs are a great idea. On their own, manufacturing hubs are a great idea that won’t be enough to seriously revive employment in the manufacturing sector. Here are our ideas for a fuller policy.
What else: The Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) is visiting Milwaukee, Wisconsin this week where we’ll be talking about that aforementioned industrial policy … and, specifically, about what’s necessary to train a skilled manufacturing workforce. If you’re in the area, drop the cheese curds, come on out, and pick up a book! (Actually, bring the cheese curds, we love cheese.)
ICYMI: All of the flags purchased by the Department of Defense are now, by law, 100 percent American-made. If only we could say the same about many of the key components in our military’s weapons systems.
And lastly: Twitter asked rock legend Tom Morello what his favorite Rush song is:
“@j2112_jim: do you have one favourite Rush Song?" It was Working Man til recently used in Walmart ad, so I'll have to get back to you.— Tom Morello (@tmorello) February 24, 2014
Walmart’s Buy American ad campaign wouldn’t be so eye-rolling, maybe, if it made a more serious monetary commitment to its procurement promise.
And that’s it. That's it and that’s all, America! We’ll catch up with you at the end of the week.
Related recent Blogs
- U.S. Named Among “Rising Global Stars” in Manufacturing • by elizabethbb • 08/20/2014
- August 11, 2014: Chinese Textile Manufacturing ... in the Carolinas • by mmcmullan • 08/11/2014
- August 8, 2014: Maury is a close second to trade data in our book • by mmcmullan • 08/08/2014
- #AAMeter Attracts National Attention • by elizabethbb • 08/04/2014
- August 1, 2014: The Rare, Solid Manufacturing Jobs Report • by mmcmullan • 08/01/2014
- Will This Be the Week for the Highway Trust Fund? • by elizabethbb • 07/28/2014
- July 25, 2014: What We're Watching • by mmcmullan • 07/25/2014
- Back From Detroit, Eyes on Washington • by elizabethbb • 07/21/2014
- July 14, 2014: Commerce gets its OCTG ruling RIGHT! • by mmcmullan • 07/14/2014
- July 7, 2014: The final #SOSJobs countdown • by mmcmullan • 07/07/2014