February 14, 2014: American-made Valentines, obviously
And Happy Valentine’s Day! Washington, DC is digging out after a nearly a foot of snow. If the bad roads weren’t reason enough to keep this holiday low-key, the political punditocracy’s favorite contrarian says tonight might be a good night to stay in and save some money.
Interesting advice, but we’ll do him one better: If you haven’t yet gotten all of your Valentine’s Day cards out the door – or you have a significant other (or crush) who shares your enthusiasm for American manufacturing – then why don’t you woo him or her with one of these? Behold:
Do you dig this? Yes? We’ve got a lot of them. Check them out.
What else happened this week?
The Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) spent a lot of time hanging out at the Good Jobs Green Jobs conference. One of our policy experts joined a panel on clean energy. Our boss led another on the pratfalls of the Trans-Pacific Partnership. And we signed a lot of books. These books are legit, and you can buy one right here.
Ohio’s Senator Sherrod Brown makes the case for raising the requirement for what’s considered an American-made garment:
My legislation, the Wear American Act, would change an existing law that requires 51 percent of the federal government's non-defense textile and apparel purchases be made on U.S.-made products.
We can do better than that.
- And bad news for the manufacturing sector: Instead of the .3 percent expansion of industrial production in the United States predicted by many economists, we actually experienced a .2 percent contraction in January. That means less factory orders, and ultimately, less work across the economy.
But lest we close this email leaving you all bummed out:
If you're a Pittsburgh basketball fan, our condolences.
See you next week, America!
Related recent Blogs
- March 7, 2014: Weak #MFG job growth and a big trade deficit earn Obama the saddest of trombones • by mmcmullan • 03/07/2014
- It wasn't all weather: What's behind the weak manufacturing jobs report. • by admin • 03/07/2014
- A Berry good story on American-made footwear • by mmcmullan • 03/06/2014
- White House economic adviser Gene Sperling shares words of wisdom on his way out • by TGarland • 03/05/2014
- EPI: Address currency manipulation and you address the jobs deficit • by mmcmullan • 03/05/2014
- A first look at the president's budget proposal for 2015 • by mmcmullan • 03/04/2014
- Campaigns and political parties take note: We've got the key to attracting voters • by LDonia • 03/03/2014
- And the award goes to ... American workers • by TGarland • 03/03/2014
- March 3, 2014: Cold weather and cold Oscars pizza go together • by mmcmullan • 03/03/2014
- 86th Annual Academy Awards: A glimpse at Los Angeles' manufacturing sector • by TGarland • 03/01/2014