February 14, 2014: American-made Valentines, obviously
And Happy Valentine’s Day! Washington, DC is digging out after a nearly a foot of snow. If the bad roads weren’t reason enough to keep this holiday low-key, the political punditocracy’s favorite contrarian says tonight might be a good night to stay in and save some money.
Interesting advice, but we’ll do him one better: If you haven’t yet gotten all of your Valentine’s Day cards out the door – or you have a significant other (or crush) who shares your enthusiasm for American manufacturing – then why don’t you woo him or her with one of these? Behold:
Do you dig this? Yes? We’ve got a lot of them. Check them out.
What else happened this week?
The Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) spent a lot of time hanging out at the Good Jobs Green Jobs conference. One of our policy experts joined a panel on clean energy. Our boss led another on the pratfalls of the Trans-Pacific Partnership. And we signed a lot of books. These books are legit, and you can buy one right here.
Ohio’s Senator Sherrod Brown makes the case for raising the requirement for what’s considered an American-made garment:
My legislation, the Wear American Act, would change an existing law that requires 51 percent of the federal government's non-defense textile and apparel purchases be made on U.S.-made products.
We can do better than that.
- And bad news for the manufacturing sector: Instead of the .3 percent expansion of industrial production in the United States predicted by many economists, we actually experienced a .2 percent contraction in January. That means less factory orders, and ultimately, less work across the economy.
But lest we close this email leaving you all bummed out:
If you're a Pittsburgh basketball fan, our condolences.
See you next week, America!
Related recent Blogs
- Gathered in the USA • by TGarland • 04/15/2014
- April 14, 2014: Opinions, opinions, and Peeps • by mmcmullan • 04/14/2014
- Fashion Friday: Accessorizing the American-made way • by LRaup • 04/11/2014
- Manufacturing Jobs & #EqualPay • by LRaup • 04/11/2014
- April 11, 2014: Cherry blossoms! • by mmcmullan • 04/11/2014
- Throwback Thursday: Obama promises 1 million new manufacturing jobs • by TGarland • 04/10/2014
- Made in Elma, New York: A special delivery from Mark Andol • by TGarland • 04/09/2014
- Rep. Tonko brings filmmakers to Washington to talk American manufacturing • by TGarland • 04/08/2014
- RADIO: Why is manufacturing important for job creation in Michigan (and the U.S.)? • by scapozzola • 04/07/2014
- April 7, 2014: The same old story about cyberhacking • by mmcmullan • 04/07/2014