Faulty Chinese parts found in new Chicago rail cars
After Chicago Transportation Authority (CTA) inspectors discovered faulty parts manufactured by a Chinese supplier in new railcars, the company that built the cars tried to cut a deal, reports the Chicago Tribune.
According to the Tribune, “officials at Bombardier Transportation tried to cut a deal with the transit agency to replace only the worst parts initially, according to an oversight report by the federal government.”
Yet CTA officials were not swayed by the deal—they rejected Bombardier’s arguments that replacing only the faulty parts would make the new railcars safe:
"We insisted on full replacement of all defective parts,'' CTA President Forrest Claypool told the Tribune. "We were disappointed that we found defective parts and the supplier in question was providing an inferior product. Bombardier has fired that supplier, and we have taken steps to improve the quality assurance in the supply chain process.''
Related recent Blogs
- President Obama visits Baltimore factory to promote infrastructure investment as a means of revitalizing the middle class • by LDonia • 05/17/2013
- Five reasons you should be concerned about the U.S. military's reliance on foreign manufacturers. • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- Looking for a manufacturing job? Consider heading to one of these ten metro areas! • by mmcmullan • 05/16/2013
- National Retail Federation dismisses global safety plan for garment factories while Cambodian shoe factory collapses. • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- OPINION: Aren't we better off buying safe, Made-in-USA products? • by scapozzola • 05/16/2013
- U.S. Senate Passes Water Resources Development Act (WRDA) with Buy America Amendment Included. • by scapozzola • 05/15/2013
- And the crystal ball says that U.S. manufacturing is going up/down/sideways... • by scapozzola • 05/15/2013
- Japan's currency moves are heating up a trade problem • by scapozzola • 05/15/2013
- Oregon construction group pushes for Made in America • by scapozzola • 05/14/2013
- Promise on the horizon for American solar • by mmcmullan • 05/14/2013