This week, we're declaring a fashion emergency!
Girl Scouts are about as American as apple pie, baseball games, and Chevy trucks, but a New Jersey factory that manufactures Girl Scout uniforms faces a potential closing because of China.
The Associated Press reports that if the Girl Scouts choose to take their business to China, the family-run New Jersey factory will be forced to lay off employees and even close. What could be more un-American than that?
According to the AP article:
Jackie Evans Inc. employs 90 workers at its plant in Passaic, a once-booming manufacturing city in northenr New Jersey, about 10 miles west of New York City. They've been making uniforms and sashes for the sole client for about a decade.
The Girl Scouts told the company a few weeks ago that it would be seeking bids, including one from a company in China, according to Domenick Monaco, the son of owner Mario Monaco.
According to Monaco, the company aims to keep jobs in America as well as keep prices affordable.
Girl Scout uniforms made in China? For a company that teaches fairness, hard work and responsibility to young girls, the prospect seems a bit hypocritical.
Related recent Blogs
- Kickstarting a manufacturing renaissance • by TGarland • 12/06/2013
- December 6, 2013: The #AAMeter, it moves (in the right direction)! • by mmcmullan • 12/06/2013
- U.S. Manufacturing Gains 27,000 Jobs in November: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Statement. • by scapozzola • 12/06/2013
- Indiana manufacturing program expands • by TGarland • 12/05/2013
- Scott Paul: Keep skilled jobs for skilled workers in Washington • by mmcmullan • 12/05/2013
- December 5, 2013: Another voice for a currency rule in the TPP • by mmcmullan • 12/05/2013
- Some Made in America gift ideas for the obnoxious teenager in your life • by LDonia • 12/04/2013
- Infrastructure investment means job creation • by TGarland • 12/04/2013
- December 4, 2013: Familiar trade deficit doldrums • by mmcmullan • 12/04/2013
- What to do with abandoned factories? Bring in the artists! • by LDonia • 12/03/2013