Fact Check: Standing Up Against Unfair Trade, Kentucky Edition
Kentucky Senator Mitch McConnell (R-KY) is out with a new campaign ad this week. In the spot, the senator highlights his efforts to “level the playing field” for Kentucky companies and workers, and points to 400 Kentucky jobs the Senator helped save in 2012. Watch it for yourself:
Now, the Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) is a nonpartisan organization. So while we aren’t taking sides, we want to make sure all the facts are presented.
In 2012, Senator McConnell allowed a vote on HR 4105 to come to the floor — a bill that would apply countervailing duties to nonmarket economies. The bill became law that year, saving those 400 Kentucky jobs.
That said, during that same year Senator McConnell actively sought to prevent a vote on a China currency bill. The bill would have named China as a currency manipulator — potentially creating 31,800 jobs in his home state, according to a recent report by the Economic Policy Institute.
So has Mitch McConnell really done everything he could to "level the playing field," as he's said? That's ... uncertain. Every job in Kentucky and across the country is worth saving, and that’s why every elected official should stand up to all unfair trade practices.
Related recent Blogs
- IMTS 2014: The View From AAM's Booth • by mmcmullan • 09/12/2014
- Sneak Peek: Titan-American Built Star Titan Gilroy Chats with Scott Paul about the Made-in-China Bay Bridge • by elizabethbb • 09/10/2014
- Public and Private Sectors Come Together to Promote Infrastructure Investment • by elizabethbb • 09/09/2014
- Berry Could Be a Big Win for American Shoemakers • by mmcmullan • 09/08/2014
- Visit AAM This Week at the International Manufacturing Technology Show • by TGarland • 09/07/2014
- Manufacturing sector gains zero jobs in August: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) statement. • by scapozzola • 09/05/2014
- China trade deficit hits new record in July: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) statement. • by scapozzola • 09/04/2014
- Green Bay v. Seattle: Both Cities Victors in Manufacturing • by elizabethbb • 09/04/2014
- Joe Biden Praises Apprenticeships at NH Shipyard • by mmcmullan • 09/03/2014
- We’re Celebrating Factory Man — and You Could Win a Copy! • by elizabethbb • 09/03/2014