Existential issues in manufacturing: What is jobs report day if there is no jobs report?
Friday is swiftly approaching, and that's relevant for a few reasons. Not only is it Manufacturing Day, but it's also 'jobs day' ... or at least it should be. But due to the government shutdown, it's looking less and less likely that the Bureau of Labor Statistics will release a jobs report any time soon.
This piece of trivia commemorates the last and only time a jobs report was ever delayed by a government shutdown. The numbers for December 1995 were released two weeks late, on January 19, 1996. Interestingly, aircraft manufacturing workers had just ended a strike, which bumped up the manufacturing numbers big time; the manufacturing sector posted a jobs gain of 52,000, a figure that was later adjusted.
Are you worried about the void you may feel on jobs day? Don't be! The Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) has you covered, and in the coming days we'll tell you about AAM's jobs report.
Image by Flickr user Rubenstein, used following Creative Commons guidelines.
Related recent Blogs
- Faribault Woolen Mill Thriving in its Third Century of Business • by elizabethbb • 08/01/2014
- August 1, 2014: The Rare, Solid Manufacturing Jobs Report • by mmcmullan • 08/01/2014
- Manufacturing sector adds 28,000 jobs in July: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) statement. • by scapozzola • 08/01/2014
- New "Gigafactory" set to create thousands of jobs in the U.S. • by TGarland • 07/31/2014
- Congress Still Hasn't Made a Fix to the Highway Trust Fund • by mmcmullan • 07/30/2014
- UCLA Flood: A Real Life of Example of What Happens When We Ignore Our Infrastructure • by elizabethbb • 07/30/2014
- Candidate Watch: We Need a Few More Details, Terri Lynn Land • by elizabethbb • 07/29/2014
- Fact Check: Standing Up Against Unfair Trade, Kentucky Edition • by TGarland • 07/25/2014
- Strengthened Workforce Training is Great — and We Can Do More • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Americans Want Trade Agreements that Do Not Undermine Manufacturing Jobs, New Poll Finds • by TGarland • 07/23/2014