Election cycle debates 0-2 on China, jobs, manufacturing questions
Here at the Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM), we have a list of policy points and issues we hope the candidates for president and vice president will address.
If you’re an avid reader of ManufactureThis, or on our email list, you probably know what many of those issues are – manufacturing jobs, China and trade policy, to name a few.
This past summer we released a nationall poll that asked about the issues that are important to voters in this election cycle, especially jobs. Respondents spoke enthusiastically about having products made in the United States again, saying they’re unhappy buying Chinese-made products and that the quality of those products is often lacking.
The point is, voters want to hear about these issues.
You can probably imagine our disappointment when, in last night’s vice presidential debate (as was similar to last week's presidential debate), China trade was hardly mentioned. The candidates spoke of borrowing money from China, and of China’s one-child policy. But they didn't discuss China’s trade violations, currency manipulation, or product safety issues.
With only two presidential debates left in this campaign cycle, time is running out for the candidates to openly and candidly respond to voter concerns about China and outsourcing.
Related recent Blogs
- April 18, 2014: Another miss from Treasury on currency manipulation • by mmcmullan • 04/18/2014
- Foxx takes to the road to push for transportation fixes • by mmcmullan • 04/17/2014
- Obama vs. Bush: Who actually made more progress in revaluing China’s yuan? • by scapozzola • 04/16/2014
- Treasury decision on China currency will cost U.S. jobs: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Statement. • by scapozzola • 04/15/2014
- Gathered in the USA • by TGarland • 04/15/2014
- OPINION: Fix the vulnerable defense industrial base • by mmcmullan • 04/14/2014
- April 14, 2014: Opinions, opinions, and Peeps • by mmcmullan • 04/14/2014
- Fashion Friday: Accessorizing the American-made way • by LRaup • 04/11/2014
- Manufacturing Jobs & #EqualPay • by LRaup • 04/11/2014
- April 11, 2014: Cherry blossoms! • by mmcmullan • 04/11/2014