Election cycle debates 0-2 on China, jobs, manufacturing questions
Here at the Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM), we have a list of policy points and issues we hope the candidates for president and vice president will address.
If you’re an avid reader of ManufactureThis, or on our email list, you probably know what many of those issues are – manufacturing jobs, China and trade policy, to name a few.
This past summer we released a nationall poll that asked about the issues that are important to voters in this election cycle, especially jobs. Respondents spoke enthusiastically about having products made in the United States again, saying they’re unhappy buying Chinese-made products and that the quality of those products is often lacking.
The point is, voters want to hear about these issues.
You can probably imagine our disappointment when, in last night’s vice presidential debate (as was similar to last week's presidential debate), China trade was hardly mentioned. The candidates spoke of borrowing money from China, and of China’s one-child policy. But they didn't discuss China’s trade violations, currency manipulation, or product safety issues.
With only two presidential debates left in this campaign cycle, time is running out for the candidates to openly and candidly respond to voter concerns about China and outsourcing.
Related recent Blogs
- March 7, 2014: Weak #MFG job growth and a big trade deficit earn Obama the saddest of trombones • by mmcmullan • 03/07/2014
- It wasn't all weather: What's behind the weak manufacturing jobs report. • by admin • 03/07/2014
- A Berry good story on American-made footwear • by mmcmullan • 03/06/2014
- White House economic adviser Gene Sperling shares words of wisdom on his way out • by TGarland • 03/05/2014
- EPI: Address currency manipulation and you address the jobs deficit • by mmcmullan • 03/05/2014
- A first look at the president's budget proposal for 2015 • by mmcmullan • 03/04/2014
- The U.S. needs a stronger domestic supply chain in the event of an attack • by TGarland • 03/04/2014
- Campaigns and political parties take note: We've got the key to attracting voters • by LDonia • 03/03/2014
- And the award goes to ... American workers • by TGarland • 03/03/2014
- March 3, 2014: Cold weather and cold Oscars pizza go together • by mmcmullan • 03/03/2014