Doors opening on American made SEPTA cars
If you’ve ever taken a Southeastern Pennsylvania Transit Authority (SEPTA) subway car in Philadelphia, you know that the cars and system have long been ignored. You may have also noticed the peculiar British-esque voice on the Broad Street Line warning, “Doors closing.” (There seems to be a debate on the real accent).
So like many metropolitan areas across the country, SEPTA is in the midst of a major public transit infrastructure overhaul. This includes new rail cars made in the city of Brotherly Love for the city of Brotherly Love, reports Jake Blumgart for Next City.
Hyundai Rotem, a company established in East Asia and Western Europe, built the new rail cars in South Philly. New to the American market, Hyundai Rotem received contracts from the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA) and the city of Denver. The SEPTA contract is the company's third in the U.S.
The factory currently employs 250 workers and uses a local supply chain:
The company is placing special emphasis on the additional 3,000 to 4,000 Pennsylvania jobs Hyer said it has supported through $150 million in contracts with 21 Pennsylvania-based sub-suppliers.
Hyundai Rotem provides high-wage stable jobs to a region that has shed manufacturing jobs since the beginning of the 2000s.
But we’re still left asking ourselves: who will voice the “doors closing” warning in the new cars?
Image by Flickr user jacorbett70, following Creative Commons guidelines.
Related recent Blogs
- Strengthened Workforce Training is Great — and We Can Do More • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Americans Want Trade Agreements that Do Not Undermine Manufacturing Jobs, New Poll Finds • by TGarland • 07/23/2014
- Highlights from AAM's Trip to Detroit for Netroots Nation 2014 • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Toxic Fast Food: Just the Latest Scandal Involving Made-in-China Products. • by elizabethbb • 07/22/2014
- Drink Up with a Made in America Tervis Tumbler • by elizabethbb • 07/21/2014
- Foxx Calls on Congress to Pass Long-Term Fix to the Highway Trust Fund • by TGarland • 07/21/2014
- Back From Detroit, Eyes on Washington • by elizabethbb • 07/21/2014
- So Excellent, So Bodacious: Check Out Some American-made Smartphone Style • by mmcmullan • 07/18/2014
- President Obama proposes public-private infrastructure initiative: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) statement. • by scapozzola • 07/17/2014
- We’re Live From Netroots Nation! • by elizabethbb • 07/17/2014