Donald Trump keeps talking tough on China-- and we like it
Here at ManufactureThis, we don't endorse candidates. But we can sure tell you where they stand on issues that matter to U.S. manufacturing.
So on the subject of Donald Trump: We love listening to his rants and blunt talk about China.
Trump is mulling a presidential run. And you know what-- he seems to be the only candidate or potential candidate who is boldly and directly telling it like it is on the subject of U.S.-China trade.
In a CNN interview this week he says the number one item on his potential presidential agenda is "Dealing with this China business": "Nobody, other than OPEC, is ripping off the United States like China."
We couldn't agree more. China cheats at the rules of world trade by illegally dumping and subsidizing product, and by undervaluing their currency (a practice they promised to end after joining the WTO in 2001).
Good for Trump, calling it like it is. He says that "China is an abuser. China is not our friend." And he offers a very simple prescription for dealing with Beijing:
We tell China, that if you don’t stop manipulating your currency, we’re going to put a 25 percent tax on your products that come into the United States.
Ironically, Trump's views mirror those of the American public, according to a recent AAM national economic poll.
Trump understands that China only respects and responds to a show of strength. Click here to watch his interview on CNN, or watch the segment below.
Related recent Blogs
- May 24, 2013 Headlines: U.S.-EU trade deal exemptions, investing in U.S. manufacturing, and more. • by LRaup • 05/24/2013
- Washington State Bridge Collapse Illustrates Perils of Failing Infrastructure. • by scapozzola • 05/24/2013
- Reps. Daniel Lipinski (D-IL) and Michael Grimm (R-NY) form new Congressional Public Transportation Caucus. • by scapozzola • 05/23/2013
- Homeland Security and Gov. Tom Ridge • by scapozzola • 05/23/2013
- CNBC: Is a Chinese construction firm benefiting from its Beijing connection? • by scapozzola • 05/23/2013
- May 23, 2013 Headlines: Gains in the job market, small businesses manufacturing in the U.S.A., and more. • by LRaup • 05/23/2013
- VIDEO: Concerns about America's defense industrial base • by scapozzola • 05/22/2013
- CNBC: China investing in U.S. • by scapozzola • 05/22/2013
- In Indiana, ongoing concerns about subsidized auto parts from China and Japan • by scapozzola • 05/22/2013
- RADIO: AAM's Scott Paul on Leslie Marshall Radio Show, May 20, 2013 • by scapozzola • 05/21/2013